after how many days of antibiotics are you no longer contagious?
Hi All,

We gave birth of two one month ago and got a new night nanny suggested by a friend.
She said was sick with throat infection and doctor gave antibiotics and she is already taking it for 5 days. She said she is 100% risk free for the babies. We got stressed about that.
After how many days of antibiotics are you no longer contagious? And if is/was a flu/cold?
We are afraid for the babies.
Thank you
Mark
Congratulations on the birth of your twins.

The antibiotics would treat the infection if caused by bacteria.  If the nanny had a swab taken from the throat and the right antibiotic prescribed to kill off the bacteria that was causing her throat infection.  

If her throat problem was through a viral infection, the antibiotics will have no effect whatsoever.  

After 5 days antibiotics, she may be OK, but I would wait until she has finished the course of her antibiotics.  

Some people will show no signs of illness, but in fact can be carriers of virus and bacteria germs.  The most impotant thing to avoid spreading germs is to observe hygiene measures (washing hands).  

We cannot avoid coming into contact with bugs, so if your nanny has no other symptoms like coughing and sneezing and feels fine, then I think it would be OK.  But if you are concerned then follow your gut instincts and wait until she has completed the full course of the antibiotics.

All the best