Cold & Flu Community
cold with hiccups

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

cold with hiccups

Hi, I have noticed for the last 6-7 years, whenever I catch a cold (mostly once a year during climate change from summer to monsoon) i get continous hiccups which lasts for 3 to 5 days. The frequency of hiccups during this period is one in every 5 to 8 seconds.   In the initial years, i tried all kinds of home remedies for hiccup.  I have not yet consulted a doctor for this.  I am 45 years with good health.  My blood pressure is on a higher side 140/90 and is on amlodipine 5 mg for last 7-8 years.  The hiccup syndrome started about 6-7 yeas back. It is very annoying and and forces me to take off from office.  Can someone suggest the reason for the continous hiccup during cold.  I do not get such hiccups on normal days, except when a eat any extreme spicy food.  But hiccups due to spicy food last only for a minute or so and is goes away when i drink sufficient water.

Please let me know whether i should be concerned about this and go for any specilized check up.  
Stressful conditions require more magnesium use by the body so all conditions that cause either mental or physical stress may lead to a deficiency.

Excerpt from Best Magnesium Citrate - How to Fix Heart Palpitations or Irregular Heart Beat:

"It has been found that 4 out of 5 people in the US (or 80%) are deficient in magnesium. If you are experiencing 2 or 3 of the following symptoms, you probably are one of them.

- heart palpitations, heart arrhythmia
- chest tightness
- urinary spasms
- constipation
- menstrual cramps, premenstrual irritability
- difficulty swallowing, a feeling of a lump in the throat
- insomnia
- light sensitivity, loud noise sensitivity
- high blood pressure
- numbness, tingling, zips, zaps and other vibratory sensations
- being uptight or prone to temper
- muscle twitches, soreness, cramps, spasms, tension, tightness
- back aches, neck pain
- headaches, migraines
- jaw joint problems
- needing to sigh a lot, unable to take a deep breath
- hiccups
- leg spasms, charlie horses, restless leg syndrome
- anxiety, panic attacks
- hyperactivity
- angina"
Turn on a humidifier and take 2 tylenol it stopped it for me