Cold & Flu Community
coughing up stuff

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

coughing up stuff

for the last 3 weeks i have been coughing up mucus.  its a yellowy colour.  i feel perfectly fine physically except for the coughing.  i have asthma and allergies to dust and cats, both of which i live with.  but i have been taking my asthma meds daily to keep it under control and havent had any attacks.  my allergies havent been that bad either.  when i need it, i take claratin and it gets the job done.  i just dont know why i keep coughing stuff up?
I'm sorry to tell you, but you need to get rid of your cat.  If you're allergic to it, you're constantly filling your lungs with something it will respond to with inflammation creating mucous that you'll cough up

Consider allergy shots, and more aggressive treatment with asthma inhalers (long acting bronchodilators and steroids) to stop your 3 week cough
yeah... ive had a cat for 11 years now...

the past few days i have been feeling extremely exhausted but cant fall asleep... and i have no appetite.  ive also developed a really sore throat.  i went to see a doctor, she thinks i either have strep or mono...thanks for the adivce though
Did the doctor swab your throat for strep?  or take blood for a monospot test?

I'm sorry you're so tired and sleepless...
she swabed my throat and gave me biaxin, im insanely terrified of needles, so if the anitbiotics dont work i have to go back for a blood test.
my symtoms (symptoms) keep changing, im getting so confused.  my cough is starting to go away, its mostly only during the night now and when i wake up.  my throat is KILLING me.  ive never had a sore throat like this before.  my tonsils are swollen and they have white spots.  other than being tired and the pain in my throat i feel fine physically.  i dont have much of an appetite, but im pretty sure its because my throat hurts so much.  it kept me up most of the night, and im pretty sure thats why im so tired and unable to sleep...
Well, sounds the biaxin is starting to work on the cough, unless this is all viral.  I wonder if it's all viral since the sore throat is worse.  If it was bacterial it should be improving with biaxin as well.  I'd go back and get blood drawn for a monospot for infectious mononucleosis.