lingering cough and difficulty swallowing
I have had a cough since October, I was treated for Pneumonia had 3 chest x-rays and blood work...I was on z pack both packs one was steroids the other was antibiotics( both were called packs of some sort)  and a rescue inhaler.  Nothing got rid of the cough.. Last week when I went in for my check up I was put on Nexium to see if it helps for two weeks and if that doesn't work i am supposed to try Claritin for two weeks and if that doesn't help then I have to go to a specialist.
I feel like something is stuck in my throat at times and I always have this phlegm its thicker than I ever remember it almost strangles me at times...
I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this and what you think it might be?  
I have already taken the Nexium for a week and notice little improvement.
Did the symptoms improve at all with the Zpack and steroids but then return fairly soon after stopping?  If they never improved, then you may have the wrong antibiotic.  If the symptoms did improve but then worsened again some days later after your last doses, then you need a longer course of antibiotic therapy to kill all the bacteria.