Cold & Flu Community
painfull chest when breathing/coughing

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

painfull chest when breathing/coughing

I had developed a cold and thought it was gone.  I came down with a cough and just a cough at first but then it started to break up and the coughs turned productive.  My coughing continued and sometimes turning into a coughing fit.  My ribs started hurting to the point where I couldn't sleep.  Painkillers didn't seem to help.  I went to the ER and the did a chest x-ray and said it wasn't pneumonia.  They gave me cough medicine with codene, an in-haler and an antibiotic (z-pack) I took the antibiotics for the five days without any relief.  I went to my PCP and he said it most likely was bronchitis and gave me another type of 5 day antibiotic.  I have finished those five and still no relief and I am taking up to 1000mg of ibuprofen before I get relief.  Acetaminofen doesn't help at all.  It does feel like the pain is in my ribs but isn't going away and I have stopped coughing for the most part for the last 3-4 days.  Do need to go back to my dr. or will the pain go away - it is mostly concentrated under my right breast.