Colitis Expert Forum
Ischemic Colitis and Diverticular Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

I am a 55 yr old female, no medications, with a history since 2003 of diverticulitis. I recently developed cramping and bloody mucousy stools. I underwent a colonoscopy 2 days ago, and was diagnosed with ischemic colitis.  I was wondering if there was any connection between the diverticular disease and ischemic colitis?

Also, the gastroenterologist has placed me on a low residue diet indefinitely. I am concerned that this may cause me to have diverticular problems.
There is no connection between diverticulitis and ischemic bowel disease.
Low residue should be continued till the symptoms of diverticulitis subside.
I am not currently having a diverticulitis attack. I was diagnosed with ischemic colon and Erythematous mucosa of the sigmoid colon.

My concern is that if I stay on the low residue diet, that it could cause a flare up of diverticulitis.