Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Sensitivity around temp crown after teeth cleaning

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

I had my teeth cleaned and they tried to clean where I have my temporary crowns on my back bottom left teeth. I usually have sensitivity when I am brushing my teeth and using listering and whenever I eat chocalate and it sits there around my gums. I have had a root canal done on one of the teeth and the other has gotten better besides the sensitivity. My dentists said I have the sensitivity because my temp. crowns are not long enough that I have more of the gum exposed. So after she poked around the gum which shot pain through me, the gums are now more sensitive than they were before, particularly cold water and ice cream and brushing teeth and listerine. My question is, is this normal? Should I still go the root canal specialist to get his opinion?
I had something similar to this.  I had a root canal done and after two days the tooth next to it was killing me.  A dentist trying to get more money told me that tooth needed a root canal also.  I went and seen a reputable dentist and they said the gum had receded some from food particle being stuck under the temporary and gum.  They cleaned it out and when the infection went away I was fine.  I suggest getting a dental irrigation syringe with some warm water or listerine and irrigating around the tooth and see if that helps.  Also use a desensitizing toothpaste.
My dentist is telling me to cancel my appt. with the root canal specialist (two different people), because she said the gum is exposed because my temp. crown doesn't cover enough of it. But since my regular dentist poked around on my gum, it is more sensitive than before. So, will the permanent crown fix this? Also, when I do bite down on very hard stuff, like a hard french fries, it does hurt some. Will the permanent crowns fix this also?
i too have a tooth that is actually covered by a one piece bridge which extends from the right side of my mouth to the other side..the left upper back molar is extremely sensitive and if i try to chew there it is like a shock..my dnetist will not let me have a root canal and tells me when it gets crowned it will be fine..same thing its sensitive to cold and not hot but chewing near that tooth and if it gets hit with food it sends a shokcwave..how is your tooth now? did you have the permenant crowned yet? my appointment is june 18th and im going to have six new implant teeth and all my upper teeth crwoned..the only one that is upsetting is that left back molar..let me know..ellen
I have not had my permanent crown put on yet, my temporary crown came off again and had to go in and they put it back on. I could not get the permanent one put on, because the dentist was not in. Whenever the temporary came off, it was very sensitive. I think it is a little more sensitive now than when it came off before. One of the assistants was saying whenever they was putting my temporary back on, that I have a crossbite and I have a odd bite. They want me to get braces. First thing, I don't think the temporary is high quality, because it does not go all the way down to my gums, that part of gums by my tooth was exposed, and I don't think they could get my bite right, especially when they have a temporary crown covering two teeth. Whenever I did have the tooth evaluated about two months ago, the endodentist recommended to put the permanent crown on with temporary cement and go from there. What do you think?