Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
tongue troubles

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

tongue troubles

I am a 27 yr old married,  female, with an 18 month old.  I have had these symptoms for over three months and have seen three doctors.  In the beginning I had a burning sensation in the middle of my tongue,with swelling the doctor prescribed antibiotics, did not get better, he stated I had a cut on my tongue.  I went to my regular doctor and he said my tongue looked fine and told me not to worry he took blood work for diabetes and anemia both came out fine. 1 week later my tongue still hurt so i went back to the first doctor he gave me more antibiotics 2 weeks worth did not get any better.  So i went back to my regular doctor he prescribed nystatin and said it was thrush because by this time my tongue along with the burning sensation became pale. I took it for 2 weeks swish and spit and it did not get any better, the doctor says that my tongue looks fine and that there is nothing more he can do for me, but send me to a dentist. Please I need your help I dont know if i can take the pain anymore its there when im awake and when i go to bed.  He is a list of my symptoms.  Pale tongue, burning sensation in the middle of my tongue, it feels ruff almost like sandpaper and immense pain.  I also get alot of headaches along with this.  Ive been examining my mouth myself and i think i found a mass on the bottom of my mouth underneath my tongue I dont know if it is suppose to be there because well ive never examined the bottom of my mouth before.  I just need some help I have my son and I  cant even be a good mother to him because i am in constant pain and I just want it to stop.  Please help me it is ruining my life with my family.  Please help me.
Seeing an oral medicine specialist is advised.If there is no clinical pathologic lesion identified, burning tongue syndrome/disorder is a likely diagnosis, which may be managed by topical and systemic pharmacologic agents.
Hello this is me I wanted to run you up on what has been going on the burning has stopped on my tongue I think this is due to me taking multi-vitamins since last post, but my tongue is pale and stills feels like sandpaper. The tongue has white tiny pin size dots it does not look like thrush.  My doctor also has told me that I have a low vitamin d level which is 21.4 the range is 30-100 so I am low.  He has given me fluconaze one tablet one week and another for the next week. I am on the second week still no change he thinks it is thrush but does not really know. He does not care to do a test because it will take 4 months to find out if it is thrush his words.  He said if it is still the same that he will send me to an ent.  My question is could this be happening because of the low vitamin d. I am going crazy because I also went to the dentist and he stated it was a nutritional problem the reason my tongue was white.  He told me to go back to my reg doc and get blood done that is when my doc decided to check my vitamin level .  Please I am going crazy I was using a tongue scraper about three times a day but really it never worked.  can you please give me some input. I really cant afford to go to the doctor anymore.
thrush can be diagnosed by smear or biopsy, if clinical lesion is suggestive, both of which take no more than a week to get result. However, your descriptions don't suggest thrush. Pale tongue may suggest anemia, a hematologist can diagnose what kind of anemia. If you are vegetarian, pernicious anemia, which is caused by B-12 deficiency, is a possibility. In addition, iron deficiency anemia is common in female.
Adequate exposure to sunlight can increase the level of VitD.