272?1253650257
Computer User Group
Please Help-Security Risk?
About This Group:

If you have any computer related questions, you may post them in this community. I am going to college to become a Computer Systems Specialist and would love to help anyone out with their technical questions they may have. :) You may also chat about any Computer/Technology related topic here. Anyone may join!!! :)

Founded by Please_Help950 on September 22, 2009
67 members

Please Help-Security Risk?

When I shut down my computer tonight a window said"Other people are logged on to your computer and if you shut it down they will lose data! wtf? I live alone, what does this mean and is my bank account alright??? Please someone answer, I will be waiting, now I can't even go to sleep until I know. What can I do about it. I checked my user account and it said I was sole administrator and the quest account was not on. Thanks to anyone that can help.
You can use task manager to determine who else is logged in and what they are doing.

Sometimes it is a session you or somebody else has abandoned (happens more with servers than home computers), so the "other person logged in" could be you.

Sometimes third party software will run as a distinct user for some of its work. These users are created and maintained by software.

Without looking at tasks it is difficult to know more.
Where can I find the task manager?
On the bottom bar, put your cursor a little to the right of the start button (so it is off the button, but not too far over). Right click and you'll find a hidden menu, task manager is one choice.
Thanks Swampy, So I go to the task manager and besides the normal stuff I see a man's name over & over again. Victor Someone's I'll look later, so I googled this Victor Somebody and it says that he started out as a chemist in Princeton University, varies other endeavors and he is like the Godfather of computer security. He teaches people that even though they think they are secure, they are often times not. So what's he doing on my little unimportant computer in Tacoma? I have no clue, I am more confused than ever, but he does not sound like a hacker living in his mother's basement to rob my little acct. so I'm going to assume the other user was me somehow and leave it at that. Thank you again, I pray 2011 is a very good year for you & your mom, loved your story about travels! :)))
The name was Vitor Laurie
Someone could just be using his name. Man its been awhile since Ive dealt with something like this. Well I would make sure the admin account is locked with a pass. You may not be running the admin account its kinda like a lttle hidden thing. The pass is often admin or zeros You could also end the processes but I'd be carful about that you dont know how intergrated this hacker is. I suggest using some free anti malware and such.If they crash then you know your infected. ITs worth looking into none the less. This person (if its a person) could be using your pc as a bot to send and recieve info. I prey its nothing or that its a bot or some malware. Having a hacker attack you direct is a very big problem. do you use wireless internet? is it password protected. You be shocked what just having a complex pass word can do. Ive drove around with a laptop before looking for internet to steal. (i lost mine and i was working on a school project but you be suprised what some one can do with an open wireless router.

in the end if its a hacker the only thing you can do is change everything including your IP and then locking it all up. Or become a hacker yourself and that is beyond me.

well best of luck
zodiacqueen Wants someone to call Jade ... Comment
zigsmom is ...hanging in there by t... Comment
zigsmom joined this group
Welcome them!