Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community
ASD from left to right shunt

Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) (aka: Coronary Artery Disease (CAD); Atherosclerosis; is the leading cause of death worldwide. It is a disease in which a waxy substance called plaque (plak) builds up inside the coronary arteries. These arteries supply oxygen-rich blood to your heart muscle. Over time, CHD can weaken the heart muscle and lead to heart failure or irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmia). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Coronary Heart Disease patients, their loved ones, and caregivers.

ASD from left to right shunt

.Hi am 30 year old, recently during routine check up using 2D echo for heart found that i have an ASD from left to right of size 6.5MM. And suggested to do TEE, when i did TEE i got the following result,
6X8mm secundum ASD(Left to right shunt)
Mild RA/RV dilation
Septal motion flat
Normal pulmonary drainage

doctor told that its not serious case, but i got feared and created anxiety.

Is there any chance that it will close automatically. Or do i need to any other checkup's
or just do the followup

I am afraid of asd filling , can you please give more suggestions on this

With regards,
shilesh .
Tags: ASD
I believe normal policy is that an ASD has to be 9mm or greater to really consider intervention to close it. This is because the risks to health would then probably outweigh the risk of the procedure. As you are 30 years old, no, there is no chance it will close on its own. This is something which normally closes after birth. This hole is there so the Mothers blood can circulate around the baby in the womb. I don't know what you mean about it filling?
25% of the population has such a defect where the hole hasn't closed fully.
Filling means closing the ASD.
There are two possible methods for this, one uses angioplasty type procedures where a catheter is used, deploying a closure device. The other is open heart surgery. I'm not sure if they will do either for the size asd you have, that will be up to the Doctors.