Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community
CHF End Stage

Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) (aka: Coronary Artery Disease (CAD); Atherosclerosis; is the leading cause of death worldwide. It is a disease in which a waxy substance called plaque (plak) builds up inside the coronary arteries. These arteries supply oxygen-rich blood to your heart muscle. Over time, CHD can weaken the heart muscle and lead to heart failure or irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmia). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Coronary Heart Disease patients, their loved ones, and caregivers.

CHF End Stage

I'm turning 48 years old next month and have been suffering from Congestive Heart Failure for the last 12 years of my life.  My Ejection Fracture is between 25%-35%.  I am on my second pacemaker ICD Defib. and due for a new one within the next 6-8 months. My symptoms lately have been of weight loss, low appetite. extreme tiredness and  aches and pains (particularly the lower back). Are the symptoms of the last stages of CHF?  What is my projected longevity estimated at this point?  Any suggestions, comments or candid remarks are welcomed.  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Ejection fraction values below 35% are diagnostic of heart failure. Do your symptoms improve with therapy/interventions? If a person does not respond to medications then it is termed as end stage, refractory or terminal heart failure. If the ICD placement can revive the cardiac output, your symptoms should improve. In the meantime continue with your medications. And Good Luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
In the UK, London Heart hospitals tend to use LVAD (left ventricle assist devices). These tiny pumps squirt blood into the aorta each time the heart beats, meaning it has less work to do. This was developed as an interim measure while patients were waiting for a transplant. However, what they found was a number of hearts were actually improving thanks to the rest. They have no idea why though.
Thank you for your response.  I am on many medications and do have an implanted ICD.
As you are aware, an ICD is not a LVAD.