Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Breast Reduction

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Breast Reduction
I havve been contemplating a breast reduction, as I am a 44 DD and it is very painful on my back and not to mention how the breasts hurt, too.  Now the tendons are starting to get painful, as well and I have to wear a bra, 24/7 in order to feel comfortable.  I am only 5'3" and I look out of proporation compared to rest of my body.  Years ago, I had an abdominoplasty/hernia repair surgery that complications set in and I had to deal with necrotic skin and the recuperation was for 7 1/2 months.  I'm afraid to have any more plastic surgery that something terrible will happen to me and I might end up with necrotic skin on my chest.  Am I being over sensitive?  Should I just forget about the whole thing.  I'm tired of carrying these heavies around all the time, needless to say, I have to get tops in larger sizes, too.  Sometimes it's very difficult to breath and I literally have to hold them up to get some relief.  What should I do?
The symptoms you are experiencing and the size of your breasts would make you a candidate for a breast reduction procedure.  A breast reduction would likely help your back pain and breathing symptoms.  I understand your concerns regarding your previous surgery and the complications.  You should see a plastic surgeon in your area for a full exam and discussion regarding what may have been the cause of the previous complications.  That plastic surgeon will then decide if it is safe to proceed with another operation.