Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Need clarification of procedure

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Need clarification of procedure

I had an extensive tummy tuck done late October.  I continued to have some pain months after around the bottom of the right side of my ribcage.  Also, there is a vertical protrusion extending from under my navel to the top of my pelvic area.  It is hard to the touch, slightly pointed and very obvious.  When I went back to the surgeon for my last checkup, I questioned the appearance of my stomach. He told me that it was probably always that way and I just couldn't see it  because my stomach was soft and sagged.  He said that it was my "vulva"!  I was shocked and replied "that area is not my vulva" and he insisted it was and offered to do lipo (for an additional cost) and if that didn't work, he would do a vulvaplasty!!!
Needless to say, I did not return!!  I am sure that there is something wrong.  Can you try to explain to me why this might have happened and what I can do about it.  I spent alot of money for this procedure and am worried about additional costs.
The protrusion in your lower abdomen could either be residual laxity of your rectus fascia (the tendinous layer over the rectus muscles that was tightened during the procedure) or potentially, disruption of the sutures placed in the fascia at the time of surgery.  If you now lack confidence in your original surgeon, you will need to get a second opinion from another plastic surgeon to evaluate your current condition.