Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Post ACDF scar treatment

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Post ACDF scar treatment

I am about 4 months post op from an ACDF.
During that procedure they access your cervical spine via a horizontal cut about 3 inches long on the right side of the middle of your neck.

While obviously recovering from the surgery is the most important factor, the scar is a daily reminder of just how much pain I was in and the year of my life that was spent dealing with it.

At the 2 month visit with my neurosurgeon I asked if I could use Silicone sheets,  he said that would be fine but he doubt that it would really help much.   He said your male why do you care what people think?

My answer - I don
I do not recommend consideration of scar revision until about a year after surgery (or trauma).  At that point the scar will usually be mature and the potnetial results of revision will be maximum.  Silicone gel sheeting is an excellent way to minimize early scarring and has been documented to work (unlike topical vitamin E gel).  With persistent redness, some lasers will reduce the erythema due to icreased blood flow to the area, but I have not been impressed with the use of lasers to reduce scars per se.