Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
breast reduction fat necrosis
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

breast reduction fat necrosis

I had a breast reduction in August 2006.  I have a mass of tissue in my right breast that my plastic surgeon has told me to massage since right after the surgery.  I have switched doctors due to his disrespect and inappropriate bx.  Recently the area was looked at through ultrasound.  It is approximately the size of an egg.  The new plastic surgeon said it is necrotic fat tissue and will not get smaller or break up with massage.  He said I can leave it in, but he recommends removing it.  He is uncertain if he can maintain the shape of my breast.  The mass has moved down over time and is under my areola now.  It is painful to massage and makes that nipple jutt out in a curved manner.  He thinks the surgery will hopefully only flatten the area, but volume could be a concern due to the mass size.  I had 4 pounds removed during surgery, I don't smoke and never have.  My right areola had been cut in many areas during surgery to improve blood flow.  My question is whether there is any procedure out there besides a surgery that could deform me?  Also, does it sound normal to have a mass that size die in a non smoker?