Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
saline injections for corticosteroid induced cutaneous atrophy

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

I was diagnosed by a plastic surgeon last may with corticosteroid induced cutaneous atrophy in my right cheek as a result of repeated kenalog injections for acne cysts. I read a study in the journal Dermatologic Surgery, in which repeated injections of saline completely resolved cutaneous atrophy. I would like to have this procedure performed but my plastic surgeon has informed me that he has never performed this procedure, nor does he know of anyone else who has. I live in the greater toronto area and would like to know who I should contact.
I have actually discussed this topical in response to a question several weeks ago.  There is some belief that subcutaneous atrophy from repeated steroid injections is due to precipitation of crystals of the steroid in the local tissues.  The injection of saline reportedly acts to dissolve the crystaline precipitate and therefore allow regrowth of inhibited fat cells.

Injection of saline into the area is a very easy procedure that any physician can do.  I have tried it on several occasions with limited improvement.  It is not likely you will find anyone with extensive experience with the results of saline injections or a local 'expert' in this area.  You should be able to find someone who is willing the give it a try, since the procedure carries very little risk.
1 Comment
A related discussion, subcutaneous atrophy from kenalog was started.