Cosmetic Surgery Community
Breast Reduction Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Breast Reduction Question

I am only 18 years old and I have been diagnosed with thoracic kyphosis (a form of scoliosis/curvature of the spine) and sciatica with muscle spasms. There has not been one day this entire year that I've walked without pain. I have applied for SSI, because I am disabled and cannot work. I have been denied breast reduction twice by my HMO based insurance, because they said it was for cosmetic reasons. I believe that this surgery would help the pain in my shoulders and my upper back. They are size 36DD and I only weigh 115. I sent an appeal out with my medical documents and a letter about my condition. I would like to know what it is I can do to get this surgery approved. I've tried everything, and I'm stuck! How do I get them to approve of this surgery!?
Personally, I would get a letter from your doctor to send to the insurance company to state that it is medically necessary for your well-being. HMOs can be a pain, but don't give up. With the right info given to them, they will cover it. good luck.
   Try getting on the internet and looking up surgeons that do breast reductions and look up surgeons that do this operation. Ask for a consultation most are free, Email call or go see them with all paperwork and even a bank statement for the last 3 months showing you cannot pay and your medical records will show you must have the procedure. Maybe you will find a kind heart to listen and help you!! Good luck