Cosmetic Surgery Community
Diastasis Recti

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Diastasis Recti

I am in the beginning stages of my research into having a tummy tuck to correct my diastasis recti. I keep reading that insurance companies consider this cosmetic surgery only and will not pay any fees toward it unless you have medical documentation to prove it is medically necessary. Is this true for any of you? I haven't contacted them yet because I don't want to draw any red flag attention to my file. I want to know how this process works. I thought since my doctor said I have this and surgery is the only way to fully correct it, it would be covered. But my research is showing this is harder than I realized.
That's not true. I had the surgery on Oct 20, 09. My insurance paid for the repair part. I had to pay a plastic surgeon to remove the excess skin.  When you say "tummy tuck", the insurance company automatically think "cosmetic".  First, you need to find a general surgeon who will identity your issue. Your general surgeon will then file the proper authorization with your insurance company and get the procedure approved. Then you need to find a plastic surgeon. The insurance will not pay for this part...that's what is considered a tummy tuck.

You will actually have 2 surgeons:  the surgery to repair your abs muscles and then the surgery to remove the excess skin.

Good Luck!