Cosmetic Surgery Community
diastasis recti repair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

diastasis recti repair

If I lay on my back you can clearly see where i have a seperation in my stomach muslces from below the center of my chest bone all the way down to my pelvic bone. My children are 5 and 9 months. Both were c-section delivery and I had a tubial ligation.  I am small only 61 inches tall and I have dropped ALOT of weight. I find eating is extremely uncomfortlbe so I am down to about 100 lbs. By belly button also pokes out. the muscles around my pevis have become to feel knot like and ache severely. What should i do? What procedure will fix this? Can it be fixed?
Sounds like a routine tummy tuck would help.  Have you asked your PCP?  He may be able to refer you to a good PS.  When I had my last c-section my OB/GYN actually sewed my lower abdominal muscles together b/c of herniation.  Talk to your PCP and ask what options you have, more likely then not he will recommend surgery.  And if it is for your health and medical reasons, insurance may cover it.  Best of Luck and Keep us updated.
I am scheduled for distasis recti repair surgery Aug 5th, 2008, and also for a ventral hernia surgery.
I have two surgeons involved of course, the plastic surgeon and the general surgeon that has done my previous surgeries
My problem is that I had been to my Gyn doctor who found cancer in the walls of my cervix three years ago, and he suggested that I see my surgeon reagarding my ct scan that showed diastasis recti on the scan and I didnt know what that was. I had mentioned to him that something was wrong, besides my abdomen being so swolen and getting worse, I have had bowel troubles (after doing everything possible) and also unrinary incontinence and voiding very little when I did go. This was all farirly new in the last year or so. My lower back hurt daily and I slept with a heating pad every night on my back to get relief
My gyn doctor informed me that I would need a plastic surgeon to do what is generally called a tummy tuck to repair the split miscles etc and I told him I couldnt afford to pay for a plastic surgeon
He informed me that in cases like this, where I had medical reasons for having it done and had medical problems that are related to having this surgery, then insurance should have no complications covering it as long as the doctor documents it correctly.

I saw both surgeons and they sent for approval with my insurance company only to be told that my hernia surgery was covered but my tummy tuck surgery would not be covered because it is considered cosmetic.
REGARDLESS OF WHY I WAS HAVING IT DONE, IT WILL NOT COVER.
I didnt go into this for cosmetic reason at all and I took my last dime out of my father's inheritance to have this done so I could feel better, so I dont understand when insurance covers it and I need advice from someone as to what I need to do at this point
I have talked to the scheduling person and there is nothing that she can do to help me
When IS it covered ?
I had to pay $4000 today and the more I thought about it, the more upset I became
Help me someone to make me understand
I will follow through with this surgery for sure but feel I am being taken or something
I worked for this group of doctors for years and I trust them and just dont know if the coder is the one I need to talk to or what

How was your surgery?  I hope everything went well and they were able to repair the hernia at the same time.  I just had the diastasis procedure done and a hernia repair as well.  My symptoms were very similar to yours and I am hoping this will cure my chronic back pain and intestinal difficulties.  I hope you were able to get the procedure covered by your insurance.  My doc said that it is very difficult to get it covered but it should be if you have health issues that relate.  You have to be pretty insistent that they figure out how to get it covered.  I had to take pictures and send them in with doctor's notes etc.  
I am interested in hearing about the outcome.  If this surgery helps, I want to spread the good news to others because there are so many women who don't know about this and it isn't talked about much within the medical community.  
I am doing great and almost 4 weeks since my surgery and hope that you are doing good yourself
I am still pending the insurance problem, and will post on here to let you know the outcome
But the office is listening to me and trying to work it out for my benefit
I dont mind paying a partial fee because the plastic surgeon did ask me if there was anything else he could do while he had me opened up and I said 'like a tummy tuck? and he said yes
but that wasnt the sole purpose of doing the surgery
My colon/bowel problem has improved so much and my lower back problem is getting better also so I know it wasnt just a cosmetic problem.
I am brand new at this on line forum thing but your story grabbed my attention.  I also have a diastisis and like you lots of bowel problems, I now pee myself as well and soon have to have surgery for lifting my bladder.  I have three kids under 5 and a very active full time job.  From what I read, your diastisis surgery fixed your bowel problems??  I take copious amounts of metamucil to make things regular.  Your insurance problems .... are you dealing with American or Canadian ins companies?  Thank you.
I have have a difficult problem such as hernias in incisional scar on lower abs.. and diastasisi..Lower bowel problems....Painful.. cant perform my job because of it.Lower back Disc problems.too...My insurance says I need to have the general surgeon or plastic surgeon do a pre deposition?precertification..? Now normally the insurance co. BCBS..Says they dont cover the proceedure unless they have this letter of predeposition/precertification..What is this letter?? and what do I need to convey to the insurance company so I dont have any out of pocket expense..I want the insurance company to pay for this..Im a fitness instructor not able to perform my work and when I do Im in a great deal of pain.
I had diastasis recti repair on October 20, 2009. I had all the problems that everyone else are complaining about esp. bowel problems. I had 2 surgeons: a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon.  Since my condition was medical related, my insurance company covered the diastasis recti repair.  I had to pay for the plastic surgery part.  My general surgeon sewed my muscles back together and my plastic surgeon removed the excess skin.  It was well worth the money spent. I now have bowel movements like I did before I had kids and I no longer have back issues. You don't necessarily have to get the excess skin removed but I choose to do it because I'm very small. Good Luck! If anyone wants some detail about my surgery, please feel free to email me: ***@****
I also have diastasis and still look 6 mnths pregnant.  Have had Hernia surgery first week of September 2009, and still in pain from that and can not have my 9 mnth old son, 2 year old daughter and 5 year old daughter put any pressure on my stomach and can not lay on my back or I have a lot of pain in my stomach.  Just got back from the general surgeon today after having another CT to see if I have another hernia, and I don't. The surgeon said I can not help you and I have to wait until March 2010 to see if I am in any more pain and if I am to go to my PCP to send me to a Pain Clinic.  Isn't this a bunch of BS.  I don't know what else to do.  I am going to try exercises to see if it helps, which I dought it.  If anybody has any ideas I would love to here them.  Thank you
i have breast cancer and need a mastectomy. I am trying to figure out if I should go silacone and tummy tuck which would give them the skin but not be as invasive and the trim flap which takes your stomach muscle and an artery. yes I would have to pay for the tummy tuck but that way I would not have to wait months for the surgery. I live in Florida and do not want to deal with al the fake add ons for a long time.
question: anyone who has had the flap. how has it really effected your muscles. im 45 and use my muscles alot. is it lower or upper muscle? Does it effect virginal muscles at all? Meeting with surgeon next week and only have a week to make the decisions or I will have to have more chemo. very aggressive cancer.
Two suggestions:

1. You will be more likely to get responses if you start a new thread with your own question, esp. when you are introducing a completely different topic. When you tack a question on someone else's thread, it is likely to be overlooked, because people will often assume it is just another a reply to the original question.

2. The question you are asking would probably be better addressed by posting it in the B.C. Forum (as you have already done) and in the Cosmetic Surgery Expert Forum.
What kind of bowel problems were you guys having?  Like constipation or something else?  I am having some of the problems mentioned, but I'm not sure about the bowel issues.  I also would love to have this paid for by my insurance.  I've already seen a general surgeon who treated this like a minor problem.  He told me to come back if it got worse.  Any suggestions?
This is an interesting thread as I also have the umbilica hernia and diastasis.  I noticed it first after my first baby was born 2 1/2 years ago. None of the doctors here could explain what was wrong and the 'hernia specialist' in town told me I should wait to see if losing more weight would help it go away. I also had bowel issues and lower back pain. I have always been very physically fit but looking 6 months pregnant is awful (when you're not). None the less I waited to see if the problem would go down.  Ten months later I had dropped 50 pounds and the problem was still there.  I had my second baby 15 months ago and have since lost all the baby weight.  The problem is still there. I have also gone to insurance folks to battle this out - as I had a great core prior to baby.  They've all said the same thing - they'll pay for hernia repair, but not PS. My understanding is that you need both.  However, I've since researched quite a few PS who fix the hernia as well with mesh. I just hope no one wait as long as I have in hopes that it will "get better w/weight loss" -- the same doctor said he didn't think it was a big deal that my stomach stands out so much. Ugh. Now it just comes down to finding the best PS to do this.  If insurance isn't going to cover it - the best thing I can do, is to at least find someone who is an expert at fixing this problem.  Also - I bought some body sculpting after baby video that said she fixes these problems w/out surgery.  Uh huh. 6 weeks later I had increased my lower back pain and my stomach was bulging even more. I have a feeling it might be better to wait on ab work until after the repair.
I am a bit confused.  My primary care doc diagnosed me with a ventral (epigastric) hernia.  I saw a surgeon and he said I have diastasis and not a hernia.  What is the difference.  He said the surgery to repair the diastasis is essentially the same as for a hernia.  I am in pain (ie why I thought it was a hernia) but he said there is no rush to do the surgery.  Could anyone give me a good explanation of the differences between these two symptoms.  Thanks.
This is like déjà vu.  I am also experiencing the same symptoms.  I have a 7 year old and a 24 month old, both c-section.  I am 5'2" and 123 pounds and I look like I am 5 months pregnant, experience constipation and frequent urination.  I have a huge protruded stomach that got larger after going to a personal trainer.  I also have lower back pains.  My primary care doctor referred me to a surgeon for ventral hernia repair.  This surgeon said he could do the repair, but it would be a vertical incision with a mesh and it would leave me with a horrible scar and no belly button.  I then obtained a second opinion.  That surgeon told me what I really had was diastases recti and it was not a true hernia (but is often misdiagnosed as a ventral hernia).  Now the second opinion surgeon is telling me the repair is considered plastic surgery.  I am at a loss.

It's awful to be constantly congratulated on your "pregnancy".  My insurance, Tricare Prime will cover the ventral hernia repair but not the plastic surgery.

Any advice?  Has anyone had this type of plastic surgery done?  I am assuming it would be a tummy tuck.  My self-esteem is sinking I am constipated, constantly running to the bathroom for amounts to maybe less than an ounce of urine, my lower back hurts and I look like I am 5-months pregnant.  It’s hard to swallow that this all “cosmetic”.
I am amazed that doctor's know this exists and causes urinary, bowel and back problems, but no insurance company is willing to cover it.  No one could figure out why I was leaking urine because everything looked fine.  As a result I had my bladder lifted and the angle of my ureter changed in order to stop the leaking. This was in addition to removing my uterus in the hopes that less pressure would be exerted on my lower back and helping me with constipation.  Now I'm looking back and wondering if they had just repaired the gap between my diastasis recti (3 inches) if that would have solved the problem.  

Has anyone had their diastasis recti muscles repaired without the tummy tuck?  If so, what was your experience and how much did it cost?
I just had an ubbilical hernia repair last month. I have a 5 inch scar running down from almost my sternum to almost my c-section scar. The surgeon, in my case, was forced to perform a "minni" tummy-tuck for the area around my belly button and also made me a new bellybutton. Now the problem is that all of the skin below my belly button has bunched up and looks worse than before the hernia repair. He says that he would have no problem getting this covered from my insurance because of a ponounced diastis recti that is still there. The only problem now is that I have to wait at least 4 months, but hopefully I can talk him into it before then. Godd luck, ladies!
I just met with a general surgeon this morning for consultation on my umbilical hernia and diastasis recti.  She talked about performing the surgery and I asked if this would essentially be taking care of the work involved with a tummy tuck and she told me that should could bring in the plastic surgeon and have it all done together.  I asked if that would be covered under my insurance and she said they would word it so that insurance should cover it.  I hope I don't come to find out that insurance is going to refuse to pay for it.  I cannot stand the sight of my mid section now and it would really be nice to have it all taken care of at once.
Hello ladies. I have a diastasis recti separation of the upper abdomen and it's exposing my vital organ and still I can't get it covered by insurance. Since mine is higher I have different problems like with breathing and laughing.

I seen my OB yesterday and he can't repair it. It has to be a plastic surgeon. This is crazy. I swear it's causing my health problems. There strange but real.

Since giving birth to my son who is turning 3 in August I haven't been able to fully laugh it cuts my air right off. I know it's from my abdominal separation but the docs think it's not.

That's bull!
Hello ladies. I just found this site and found it extremely interesting. Especially because I too have a diastasis recti but my youngest child is 19 years old. So, mine has been growing for years. I never knew what it was and I guess it never bothered me until a few years ago. I went to a few surgeons because I thought it was a hernia. I had an umbilical hernia when I was 5 years old. 4 surgeons/plastic surgeons blew me off totally. I recently went to a gastro physician for a totally unrelated problem and when he saw it he said "you have a diastasis recti". He advised me because it was so huge I should immediately go to a surgeon to have it repaired. Well, I have been researching because I would like this to be covered by my insurance and I have BCBS, which *****. I don't want it just "fixed", I want it "fixed right", which means a tummy tuck as well that insurance should pay for (IMO). I have asthma and cough a lot. This bulge gets so big and sometimes gets stuck out and I have huge pain involved until it "calms down". So, right now I have bronchitis and I am suffering dearly. Does anyone have the proper wording that should be used when going to a doctor? Should I go to a surgeon or plastic surgeon? All help is greatly appreciated. Oh, and it ***** looking pregnant at 51 (LOL).
Oh, by the way. I am 51 years old. Have 4 children, which includes 28 year old TWINS, a 24 year old and a 19 year old. All were C-sections except the first twin.
HEY! I have an umbilical hernia and diastasis recti... The pain isn't from the umbilical hernia. It is really the separated abdominal muscles. I feel ill all of the time. I have to be very careful about my girls laying on my tummy. I am scheduled for hernia repair next month. But, my doctor said to me, you can wait to get the hernia fixed. But, you really might want to get a consult about the diastasis recti.

I can't believe that the insurance won't pay for it. I am honestly ready to start a letter writing campaign and also see a lawyer. So angry right now that so many women are dealing with this issue!
I also have diastasis recti as well as an umbilical hernia.  I just saw my surgeon 2 days ago and he states that the umbilical hernia is more of a priortity to fix because my intestines are bulging through that hole right above my belly button, and if an intestinal loop would get stuck in the hole then the bowel would die and I would have bigger problems.  All of this SHOULD be covered by insurance companies because diastasis recti is not cosmetic, it is a real health concern.  Cutting off that extra skin should be covered too because who's gonna go through getting all of this done with hanging stretched out skin on top, that makes alot of sense!!  I have chronic low back pain as well as constipation due to this condition, and all I did was have 2 children.  
I too have a diastisis recti and constipation! Ever since I had my second child (who is 5 now) I have had this problem. I told my gyn about it, but he did not show much concern.  After reading other people are having the same problems as i am, I am thinking I may need to get a second opinion. I am 36 and don't want to wake up in the future with stuff popping out!  I am so happy I am not crazy. None of my girlfriends have this problem!  I hope this will help with my bowel movements. I have taken stool softeners for years!  I just want to go regularly and not look like I am 4 months preg all the time!
I too have Diastasis Recti and I am going on my 2nd hernia.  My first hernia was in September 2009, and here I am not even 1 year later and I have another one.  I have had 3 CT's within this year and I am hoping it shows how seperated my stomach muscles are.  I have a 4 finger seperation and my surgeon said that my hernia and muscles can be repaired at the same time but the real question is well my insurance pay for it...I am going to fight it because it hurts my stomach to lay on my back and my side also.  I wake up every morning w/ abdom.pain... What is it going to take for insurace to see the real problem.....
Yes, diastisis recti should be covered by insurance!  It's no different than having a deviated septum and getting a nose job for free, which people do all the time.  It's no different than having a hernia from lifting weights.  If men got pregnant, it would be covered.  It's an injury!
Diastisis recti repair IS COVERED by your insurance. What's not covered is the removal of the excess skin which is considered a tummy tuck. I advice everyone to find a really good general surgeon who is familiar with the issue so that you will be diagnosed correctly. This is an issue that should not be ignored. It WILL NOT get better with exercise in fact, exercising could make it worse. I've had the surgery and I'm doing great. It's been almost 10 months and I'm doing great! No constipation, no lower back issues and no protuding stomach. The surgery fixed all of these issues. I did get the tummy tuck also, which I had to pay for myself. But is was well worth it. If you like, send me an email at senica at comporium dot net. I have to decode my email address or they will xxxx it out.

Good Luck is getting this issue resolved.
I too have diastasis recti and bowel issue w/constipation, because of constipation, i recently had hemroid surgery, don't wish this on anybody. I developed prob of diastasis after my last child 12 years ago. I saw many doctors who could not tell me what the prob was. One doctor told me to get over myself because this huge stomach was part of growing old. I felt insulted & hurt. I didn't give up and finally found a GYN that told me I had diastasis. I began a regimen to lose weight w/ZUMBA ( a form of aerobic dance exercise) & have already lost 40lbs but still look 9 months preg. I found a reputible PS who can fix diastasis and Tummy tuck but it will cost me around $7,000. Still holding on to hope that insurance will cover cost. Just have to keep my Faith in God and continue to be persistant with doctor appts and somehow find a way for this to be covered by insurance. Good Luck to you...You're not alone.
Frustrated?!?!

I have tricare insurance and went and saw a plastic surgeon per my OBGYN's request, I have rectus diastasis as well as back pain, pelvic, pain, uriniary issues, constipation, etc. I have 2 kids, 4 & 2. I didin't have many issues after my first daughter but after my 2nd daughter I look 6 months pregnant, have a ton of pain, and Tricare denied the authorization to have it fixed.My OBGYN said that I have Rectus Diastasis!  Is it because it was through a plastic surgeon? I don't care about the tummy tuck or whatever, I want the pain gone!!!! Tricare denied the claim because they said that the rectus diastasis does not cause back problems!

Well reading this I am not the only one in pain. I am 27 years old and have gone to Physical Therapy, hired and personal trainer, went to a general surgeon thinking I had a hernia (which I didn't, I had torn cartiladge (sp? )) gone and saw a plastic surgeon and nothing is covered!

What do I need to do with Tricare?!?!? I don't need my skin removed at this point I will deal with the skin to be out of pain!?!?!?! Any one have any advice?!?!?!
Hello all,
I'm currently scheduled for surgery to repair diastasis recti and an umbilical hernia this November. I've been having exactly the same problems as many of you here (both with symptoms and insurance). The only advice I can give is that if you want your insurance to at least partially cover it, you need to find a plastic surgeon that's willing to work with you AND your insurance company. They have to be willing to write letters to your insurance company, know how to properly code your procedure to get it covered, etc. Find someone, above all, who recognizes it as a real health issue, and not just a "cosmetic" problem.

I had to have 3 different doctors write letters of "medical necessity" to my insurance company, and they still denied it. After spending 7 MONTHS of hell negotiating between my plastic surgeon and my insurance company, they agreed to finally cover the hernia repair, and my PS said he'd just fix my diastasis recti while I was already open (no extra charge). I had to pay out of pocket to have them stitch it up right and cut away the "excess" skin, though. It's a scam that you have to pay for that, because I'm 5'3, and only 105 lbs, so I don't even have any extra fat or skin. I paid because I was told that if it was repaired and no skin was removed, then there WOULD be excess skin, since the diastasis recti would no longer be bulging. Why trade one problem for another?
Best of luck to you all! After reading how helpful this surgery was to some people here, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.
P.S.: anyone else notice how spell check doesn't even recognize "diastasis recti"? Really rubs in the fact that people don't think this is a real problem to live with.
http://www.scalc.net/decisions.aspx?q=4&id=10731

ORDERED that EIP’s denial of coverage for Grier’s abdominoplasty is reversed.

IT IS SO ORDERED
WOW!!  I guess I am not the only one.  I live in Indianapolis, does anyone know a good Doctor around here to go to?  I have Anthem insurance and have not even approached them yet.  I know I have at least a 3 inch diastasis recti as well as at least two hernias.  One at my belly button and one in my c-section scar....that one hurts real bad.  I look like I am nine months preg.  I need help.  

Hi, I was just wondering what your scarring ended up looking like? I am in the process of deciding, and I have been told that because I don't have a lot of extra skin, I will have a scar from hip to hip AND a vertical scar from my belly button down to the other scar.

It sound so ugly I don't know if I would be more self concious about that than the preggo looking tummy I have now. What is your experience?
sorry to hear this problem is this common. I thought I was one of a very few, as nobody I know has heard of this. I am pregnant with my second. First baby is almost 2, but my diastasis recti never "fixed" itself like I read that it likely would.  Now that i'm pregnant again, it seems more pronounced and "things" come out.  I wondered if it could be fixed by my OB when I have my c-section???  or does a different surgeon have to take care of this? I won't need skin removed, just my muscles put back together. My belly button was always an innie, but it turned into an outie. was that due to the diastasis recti?  anybody know if that's a common symptom?  thanks!!!
I have the type of scar that you're talking about.  My had surgery Oct 2009. I do have a hip to hip scar and a 2 in. scar starting from the bottom of the hip scar. I didn't have alot of skin.  The 2 in. scar is the site of my old belly button.  I didn't have enough excess skin, above my belly button, for my plastic surgeon to pull to remove my old belly button scar.  It doesn't look at bad as you would think.  My hip to hip scar is fading...in some places, it's completely gone.  My vertical scar is taking longer to fade, but I'm okay with that.  The decision to live with the scars instead of looking 6 months pregnant was a very easy decision for me.  I now have a super flat tummy and I look better than before I got pregnant!  Eventually, my scars will fade, but if they don't fade completely, I'm totally okay with that.

Good luck!
Your ob/gyn probably will not do the repair when you give birth.  You probably will need excess skin removed after your go back to your normal size and your muscles are repaired.  Yes, your belly button is now a outie because you now have an umbilical hernia thanks to the diastasis recti.

Good Luck!
I am having umbilical hernia/diastasis recti repair/tummy tuck next month! Does any one who has had it have any idea how much weight I can expect to lose and how long will I have to be in the hospital?They say it will be about 6-8 hour surgery! I have lost 100 lbs but still weigh 250,I have a huge lower roll of fat and of course the upper belly protudes because of the DRecti.  Help
My surgeon now tells me that medicare/medicaid will not pay for the diastasis recti so I will only be able to get mt hernia fixed and my excess belly roll removed! I have found some information about exercise that is supposed to fix the D recti,does anyone know if it works?
To answer the most recent post, I have found that Physical Therapy did indeed help my diastasis recti. I have two kids, ages 3 and 5, and am thin, but my stomach looked like I was several months pregnant. After 8 sessions of physical therapy last summer and doing the core-strengthening exercises twice a day for ten minutes, my stomach bulge has definitely improved. I continue to do the exercises about four times a week. However, I am now experiencing urinary incontinence and suspect that it might be from my diastasis recti. Also, I am contemplating having a third child and know that I will have to deal with the stomach bulge all over again if I have another. So, maybe surgery is a good option for me down the road, although I'm fairly shocked at how infrequently the surgery is covered by insurance. Glad I found you guys on this site. I will check back.
I appreciate all the insight on surgeries etc...

I have a painful (at times) umbilical hernia and diastasis rectus from pregnancy/c-section. Can I get one or both of them fixed and still have another kid? Or do I have to wait until I'm done having kids to fix it all (because I hear repairs don't stretch for pregnancy)?

I wouldn't be so concerned but like I said, the hernia sometimes painfully bulges out and I have to lay down and 'try' to push it back in...I almost went to the ER because it was so bad one time, then it finally went in. I would like to have at least one more child if not two.

Thanks!
I am so glad to have found this site. I have felt so lonely in this flatbelly world and not able to figure out why i had this 6month pregnant belly 3 years after my 1st child. Last year I had an umbilical hernia repair done because anytime I worked out I felt a sharp pain in the navel. I had no idea it was such a huge hernia. They did not fix the diastasis recti becuase I planned to have more kids. Now I am at the point that I am not sure I will be able to have more children many failed attempts with fertility and I really want to get it fixed. I read many stories of people who got pregnant after tummy tucks and didnt have much issues. I recently went to my pcp to try to get some help due to my low back pain and hip issues, pretty much i was told to go to either therapy (which i already tried with not much help) or pain managment and he didnt think that my back issues had anything to do with this huge protruding stomach. really i think he just thought i was fat and lazy. Granted i could loose 10 lbs but that is about it. Makes me so mad that no one knows or wants to accept this is a huge problem.
So glad I found this site.  My doctor told me my diastasis recti does not cause pain.  She has had me have a CT scan and and hyda scan next week.  I do have gallstones but the pain is a burn that runs down where my  stomach protrudes.  People think I am either pregnant or fat...usually pregnant.
OMG!  I just found out I have diatasis recti and now after reading all these comments it explains why I look pregnant. I first noticed my belly when I had my daughter, she is now 6, then more when I had my son, he is 2 and my 3rd child finally did it!.  He is 6 months and I look like I'm 6 months pregnant. People ask me how far I'm in my pregnancy , I feel so bad. I went to Nordstrom’s I needed shoes the dump *** sales guy told me I should buy flats at least until I deliver then he realized I had my 6 month old in the stroller. I was so humiliated. I want this big belly gone...I'm seeing a PS next week and at this point I don't care if I have to pay out of pocket. Hopefully one day this won't be an issue for insurance companys to cover it. This is a real problem that we didn't ask for!
just got off phone with my general surgeon--planning on surgery to repair ventral hernia with possible component separation.  I was told by doctor and insurance this will be completely covered.  Waiting to hear from plastic surgeon about expense for "tummy tuck" (which will be performed at same time--if I'm going to fix my still "pregnant belly" although I have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old--then I want it ALL done--back to some semblance of what it once was way back when).  Was told I'll have 1 or 2 night stay in hospital, although I've been reading this can be outpatient surgery (at least laproscopically).  Maybe the tummy tuck component is more "invasive"?  Can anyone talk about their experience with this "dual" surgery?  Success? recovery? complications?  etc.  Like many others here, I'm tired of looking pregnant years after delivering--and since I'm small (under 5 feet) this is especially pronounced.  I run and workout regularly, as well, and am frustrated to read that this has probably made the hernia/protrusion worse...
Hi, I've just stumbled on this while doing some research. I'm going to my PCP tomorrow as I look 5 months pregnant and my son is nearly 4! I have an umbilical hernia aswell which they've said doesn't need repairing yet but it sometimes pops out and it's becoming painful. Now my DR is hurting at the top, just below my sternum and I can't bend over or breathe deeply. I've stopped picking up my son much to his disgust! From what I've felt, it seems I have a four finger gap. I'm in France BTW, let's hope my Dr takes me seriously and I can get this sorted asap.
Hi, I had my DR surgery 2 weeks ago, a week after I saw the surgeon!

Luckily, it was covered by the Govt because it was necessary and not cosmetic.

I have a vertical scar that goes from my sternum to 2 inches below my belly button - I also had an umbilical hernia repair. I was in hospital for a week.

I'm hoping this surgery helps with ALL the problems associated with my DR and that in time, the scar will be almost invisible.
I did manage to get the tummy tuck part of repairing my Diastasis  Rectus (D.R.) & umbilical hernia approved for payment (& I have Medicare) but only because I have type 2 Diabetes and am plagued with a Chronic yeast skin infection under the folds of the excess skin.(The plastic surgeon sent photos, and she's doing the whole surgery alone without a 'general' surgeon) People with Diabetes are more susceptible to getting yeast skin rashes but also it's dangerous to have Chronic open unhealing wounds in the skin when you have Diabetes. I actually had to fight to get the D.R. repair approved too, but since I also have degenerative spinal disease and (adult onset) scoliosis, which my Drs. saw worsen from the D.R..  I cannot even hold my upper body up erect when standing or walking without using canes so my arms can push me and hold me up, from the D.R. ! And that is making my back worse too! My surgery is 10/18/11 (and then as soon as I'm healed enough from that I'll probably be having another spine surgery...!). Nobody should have to fight to get D.R.(& related tummy tuck) repair paid for, even if it's not as bad as me.  All the different stories I hear about are all tragedies in their own right and need fixing. good luck to all..
Hello, I would really like to know what city you live in & what doctor you went to, as I have same problems but no one will cover. Thanks! It would be GREATLY appriciated. - Anna
Hi! I live in the Charlotte, NC area.  If you're in the area, email me and I'll send you my surgeon's information. here is my email address coded:  senica at comporium dot net
Has anyone ever had the DR repair and hernia repair without the tummy tuck? If so How did it turn out?
I have a severe and uncomfortable diastasis recti and a lot of excess skin. I was referred to a general surgeon re having the diastasis recti fixed, thinking I would have to negotiate having the skin removed but that the diastasis recti would be repaired, only to be told that they wouldnt do any of it as the muscles would only spring apart again and so it was a waste of time. Is there anybody on here who has had the surgery over 2 years ago who can tell me whether it has remained successful as I just feel it was easy to fob me off and that the real reason is funding on the NHS in the UK.
Hi, I read your post with interest as I have also been told the same thing recently after having a laproscopy to fix a suspected umbilical hernai and a suspected inguinal hernia. They told me on recovery that I had DR and that they had just closed me back up as there was no point stitching them together as they would only ome apart again. My post-op appt that I had this week, they told me that I could exercise again freely with no caution....arent we supposed to be avoiding crunches, sit-ups, etc?
Im interested to know if you have got any furher with this as I am considering going back to my doctor to ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon.
Has anyone experienced a complete diastasis recti after abdominal surgery and if so how successful was the surgery?   I was in a head-on accident and experienced severe abdominal trauma. It is now 7 months later and I look like I'm 6 months pregnant although I lost 25 pounds since the accident and didn't look pregnant before. The surgeons did not place a drain in me and brushed me off when I asked about the pressure and the swelling. The entire incision split 10 days after  I was released and out came a flood of seris fluid. I live in a rural area and will likely go to SF or Southern California or the Portland, Oregon area for surgery but want to find a really good surgeon so would also appreciate if you know of one....or two. Thanks!  
OK So I stumbled on this thread and I need help from anyone who can offer it to me!  I had my son 16 months ago and I have diastasis recti and a hernia.  I am in so much pain all the time.  So much that I have to take pain medication frequently.  I have lost about 20 pounds in the last 2 months.  I have constant bowel problems but I am assuming that it is related to the diastasis.  The GI doctor can't find anything wrong with my stomach is why I am making this assumption.  I can't lay on my back or side without pain.  It hurts to hold my son and play with him.  I am just always in sever pain.  Is anyone else having pain at this level?  I met with the surgeon and I am having surgery on Jan 20th.  But now that I see all these posts I am scared that I am going to have lots of skin that needs to be removed which will not be covered.  I am not overweight but I do have a poochy belly.  Will the repair of the diastasis recti make that worse?  Please anyone that has had this done get back to me I am worried...does it help the pain?
Hi, I have been trying to read up and become informed on all of this, since I was also diagnosed with a ventral hernia and rectus diastasis after having my 3rd child last year.  Your story interested me....since it sounds very similar to mine.  I have also been advised to have the hernia repair, along with the abdominalplasty, but I have been hesitant because also being a small frame, I haven't known if I really needed the tuck.  I am in really good shape (everywhere else) and have no stretch marks...just a bulging bump.  I have been curious if the repair alone would fix it and then would I be able to get back to normal.  But, if that is not the case, I would really love to know what you ended up having to pay out of pocket for the plastic surgery portion?  I would gladly appreciate any other advise or information as well.  Thank you so much!
Oh girl!!! I am soooo in your same boat!! I am frantically looking on here trying to find out the exact same questions!  I have also been diagnosed with the same things and am trying to decide what to do.  I am not over weight either (just have a 3-4 month looking pregnancy pooch) but am 120 pounds and decently fit everywhere else. But I am so afraid that repairing the diastasis without the tuck, may leave a bunch of extra skin that is not seen right now. Yet we really don't have the money to just hand out for an  cosmetic surgery that may or may not even be necessary (nor to I feel good in my heart to spend that kind of money on something like that).  But I am really scared to have the procedure because I don't know what I will look like after.  Such a HUGE decision!! If you get any advise or words of wisdom....PLEASE share!!! Thank you so much!!! BTW....I love Jesus too!!! :)
Hi! I have beeen reading your thread.  Thanks so much for the information...it is helpful, as I am trying to gain as much information about all of this as I can, before making a decision on how to go about this repair.  Do you mind email me and give me some more information...like:  how much you paid out of pocket for the tummy tuck?  After the repair, and without the tuck, were you told that you would have a lot of excess skin to remove?  I am just having a hard time shelling out that kind of money....wondering if in my case it is really necessary.  I weigh around 123# and have a belly pouch.  But the separation of the muscles is 2-3 inches and my ventral hernia is large (like a goose egg sized tumor).  I am just needing help deciding if I should pay for the plastics part.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you soooo much!!  ***@****
I am very interested in your story...as I am in the same boat now and have been frantically trying to research all about this procedure and the cost (and risks).  Very curious....did insurance ever pay for any of the repair or tuck?
***@****
Hi, I am new to this forum.  But it seems that we are all dealing with the same sort of problem.  Currently I am trying to decide how to go about scheduling the repair of my ventral hernia and diastasis.  Since it seems not insurance companies are paying....do you mind to let me know what you ended up having to pay the PS for the removal of excess skin?  I, like you, am a small frame and don't feel that I have a lot of excess skin.  But I am afraid of what there could be if I don't do the procedure?  So are you saying you paid for a full tummy tuck?  Or paid for part of it?  I would love to know a ballpark dollar amount if you don't mind....?  Thank you sooo much! ***@****
Please send me an email at senica at comporium dot net.  You have to code your email address or the system admins will **** it out.  

Senica
K. Thanks! :) will do
I have read all of the posts on this site as I was trying to figure out if i would need a full tummy tuck. I too had a hernia so my pcp referred me to a specialist who then informed me that I had the worst case of DR he had ever seen before. So to make a long story short I had surgery to remove the DR while i got my tubaligation done by another doc at the same time, only a couple days ago and the specialist just performed a minituck and to my surprise there isnt the extra skin many of us small frame ppl are worried about. Good luck to you guys
I am scheduled for diastsis recti repair april 2011. Can anyone tell me what to expect after surgery and the recovery time?

Thanks for your help.
my surgery is april 2012.
Did you have your surgery?  What was the outcome?
Reading all these posts is not making me feek crazy anymore. I'm 28 with three children. 11, 5 and 8 months. I noticed after my second child that i had a lump in my tummy and still looked like i was pregnant. Now after finding out now that i have diastasis recti and also have a umbilical hernia where is now i have concern. My general surgeon did my gallbladder removal in 2011 and seen my hernia and did nothing. Now it got bigger and painful. Shes aware of my diastasis recti and just told me yesterday theres nothing that can be done about it...WOW like really. I googled it and theres surgery that can correct this issue. I need help I want to do both procedures at once. She wants to scheulde my umbilical Hernia Surgery next week already.  I want both issues addressed. What should I do. Anyone know of a good surgeon in the bay area. I live in Hayward,ca. Thanks
hi how are u i am having similar issues and i need to know how to go about putting that through the insurance please further explain to me how this was done please email me to ***@****
currently i had twins 8 months ago i have a huge problem with the diastesis recti and i am also having problems with my bowels i just dont know whats next i also have a hernia i have been told only thought a tummy tuck which isnt covered will my tummy b flat again, the insurance does cover the hernia repair still i dont have the $8,000 out of pocket for tummy tuck please respond thanks
Let me know if you see an attorney. I, along with others I'm sure, would sign a petition or something to get the insurance companies to wake up and realize that this is a MEDICAL issue, not cosmetic!

Keep me informed

Icantmakethisstuffup
Hi! I have had enough of all the same issues stated - bowel issues, urinary issues & lower back pain.  I am going to begin the process that I assume will lead to surgery - seeing a general surgeon & a plastic surgeon.
So, I want to know...
What exactly did the general surgeon do? And how was it worded &/or coded on insurance papers?  And what insurance?  Did insurance cover the anathesiologist fees, too?  
When did you begin caring for your kids again?  
I am so hopeful to get rid of these uncomfortable and sometimes painful ailments based on your entry but further details would be appreciated!!
Thanks for your post.  Are you saying you were able to get your insurance to cover this?  Can you explain how and what insurance you have.  So appreciated!!!
hello can you please tell me what insurance you have?  Thanks!!!
Hi can you please tell me what insurance you have and how you got them to cover it? Thank you so much
Greetings to all affected Ladies --
I was perusing the internet to see if indeed Diastasis Recti was ever covered by insurance.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Louisville Colorado -- and an expert in this type of surgery.  I have tried for years to help women get this procedure covered by insurance.  Occasionally, when coupled with a genuine hernia repair (what we call umbilical or ventral hernia), coverage of the muscle separation is remotely possible.  Never has the excess skin excision been covered by insurance.  In reality, repair of the diastasis recti will also fix the hernia, if done correctly by a skilled surgeon.  My office and I will continue to research this issue, and follow-up if any success is achieved.

I am looking for someone to repair a very very very severe diastasis recti separation.  I look 6 to 7 months pregnant and am in a lot of pain day to day.  I am asked all the time if I am pregnant.  I live in East Texas and am looking for someone in the Dallas, Tyler, or anywhere in east texas. I am nerves and need a GREAT doctor because my quality of life is at stake. thanks.
I live in Charlotte and I am looking for a surgeon to fix my Diastasis Recti. I was reading through the comments and ran across your post. Will you please email me you doctors contact info?

Sheila

***@****
Please email me at senica @ comporium dot net. My email is coded. The site doesn't allow emails.
Hi...sorry my response is so late. I have private insurance through my employer. They only covered the muscle repair. It was covered because I also had a hernia. My general surgeon couldn't fix the hernia without doing the muscle repair. I paid for the removal of the skin (tummy tuck) out of pocket.
Hi...a tummy tuck is not covered by insurance. Only the muscle repair is covered. I paid out of pocket for the excess skin removal (tummy tuck).  I also had a hernia and my general surgeon repaired the hernia and the muscles at the same time.

Good Luck!!
Hi...sorry so late. The general surgeon repaired my muscles and the plastic surgeon removed the excess skin. I'm not sure how it was coded with my insurance company. I believe that it was ultimately covered because I also ha a hernia. I had to pay for the plastic surgeon, 1/2 operating room costs and 1/2 cost of anaesthesia (sp?).  I had surgery when my baby was 15 months. I had help for the first 3 weeks. After that I only lifted him when necessary...about twice a day.

Good luck!