diastasis recti repair
If I lay on my back you can clearly see where i have a seperation in my stomach muslces from below the center of my chest bone all the way down to my pelvic bone. My children are 5 and 9 months. Both were c-section delivery and I had a tubial ligation.  I am small only 61 inches tall and I have dropped ALOT of weight. I find eating is extremely uncomfortlbe so I am down to about 100 lbs. By belly button also pokes out. the muscles around my pevis have become to feel knot like and ache severely. What should i do? What procedure will fix this? Can it be fixed?
I have the type of scar that you're talking about.  My had surgery Oct 2009. I do have a hip to hip scar and a 2 in. scar starting from the bottom of the hip scar. I didn't have alot of skin.  The 2 in. scar is the site of my old belly button.  I didn't have enough excess skin, above my belly button, for my plastic surgeon to pull to remove my old belly button scar.  It doesn't look at bad as you would think.  My hip to hip scar is fading...in some places, it's completely gone.  My vertical scar is taking longer to fade, but I'm okay with that.  The decision to live with the scars instead of looking 6 months pregnant was a very easy decision for me.  I now have a super flat tummy and I look better than before I got pregnant!  Eventually, my scars will fade, but if they don't fade completely, I'm totally okay with that.

Good luck!
Your ob/gyn probably will not do the repair when you give birth.  You probably will need excess skin removed after your go back to your normal size and your muscles are repaired.  Yes, your belly button is now a outie because you now have an umbilical hernia thanks to the diastasis recti.

Good Luck!
I am having umbilical hernia/diastasis recti repair/tummy tuck next month! Does any one who has had it have any idea how much weight I can expect to lose and how long will I have to be in the hospital?They say it will be about 6-8 hour surgery! I have lost 100 lbs but still weigh 250,I have a huge lower roll of fat and of course the upper belly protudes because of the DRecti.  Help
My surgeon now tells me that medicare/medicaid will not pay for the diastasis recti so I will only be able to get mt hernia fixed and my excess belly roll removed! I have found some information about exercise that is supposed to fix the D recti,does anyone know if it works?
To answer the most recent post, I have found that Physical Therapy did indeed help my diastasis recti. I have two kids, ages 3 and 5, and am thin, but my stomach looked like I was several months pregnant. After 8 sessions of physical therapy last summer and doing the core-strengthening exercises twice a day for ten minutes, my stomach bulge has definitely improved. I continue to do the exercises about four times a week. However, I am now experiencing urinary incontinence and suspect that it might be from my diastasis recti. Also, I am contemplating having a third child and know that I will have to deal with the stomach bulge all over again if I have another. So, maybe surgery is a good option for me down the road, although I'm fairly shocked at how infrequently the surgery is covered by insurance. Glad I found you guys on this site. I will check back.
I appreciate all the insight on surgeries etc...

I have a painful (at times) umbilical hernia and diastasis rectus from pregnancy/c-section. Can I get one or both of them fixed and still have another kid? Or do I have to wait until I'm done having kids to fix it all (because I hear repairs don't stretch for pregnancy)?

I wouldn't be so concerned but like I said, the hernia sometimes painfully bulges out and I have to lay down and 'try' to push it back in...I almost went to the ER because it was so bad one time, then it finally went in. I would like to have at least one more child if not two.

Thanks!
I am so glad to have found this site. I have felt so lonely in this flatbelly world and not able to figure out why i had this 6month pregnant belly 3 years after my 1st child. Last year I had an umbilical hernia repair done because anytime I worked out I felt a sharp pain in the navel. I had no idea it was such a huge hernia. They did not fix the diastasis recti becuase I planned to have more kids. Now I am at the point that I am not sure I will be able to have more children many failed attempts with fertility and I really want to get it fixed. I read many stories of people who got pregnant after tummy tucks and didnt have much issues. I recently went to my pcp to try to get some help due to my low back pain and hip issues, pretty much i was told to go to either therapy (which i already tried with not much help) or pain managment and he didnt think that my back issues had anything to do with this huge protruding stomach. really i think he just thought i was fat and lazy. Granted i could loose 10 lbs but that is about it. Makes me so mad that no one knows or wants to accept this is a huge problem.
So glad I found this site.  My doctor told me my diastasis recti does not cause pain.  She has had me have a CT scan and and hyda scan next week.  I do have gallstones but the pain is a burn that runs down where my  stomach protrudes.  People think I am either pregnant or fat...usually pregnant.
OMG!  I just found out I have diatasis recti and now after reading all these comments it explains why I look pregnant. I first noticed my belly when I had my daughter, she is now 6, then more when I had my son, he is 2 and my 3rd child finally did it!.  He is 6 months and I look like I'm 6 months pregnant. People ask me how far I'm in my pregnancy , I feel so bad. I went to Nordstrom’s I needed shoes the dump *** sales guy told me I should buy flats at least until I deliver then he realized I had my 6 month old in the stroller. I was so humiliated. I want this big belly gone...I'm seeing a PS next week and at this point I don't care if I have to pay out of pocket. Hopefully one day this won't be an issue for insurance companys to cover it. This is a real problem that we didn't ask for!
just got off phone with my general surgeon--planning on surgery to repair ventral hernia with possible component separation.  I was told by doctor and insurance this will be completely covered.  Waiting to hear from plastic surgeon about expense for "tummy tuck" (which will be performed at same time--if I'm going to fix my still "pregnant belly" although I have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old--then I want it ALL done--back to some semblance of what it once was way back when).  Was told I'll have 1 or 2 night stay in hospital, although I've been reading this can be outpatient surgery (at least laproscopically).  Maybe the tummy tuck component is more "invasive"?  Can anyone talk about their experience with this "dual" surgery?  Success? recovery? complications?  etc.  Like many others here, I'm tired of looking pregnant years after delivering--and since I'm small (under 5 feet) this is especially pronounced.  I run and workout regularly, as well, and am frustrated to read that this has probably made the hernia/protrusion worse...
Hi, I've just stumbled on this while doing some research. I'm going to my PCP tomorrow as I look 5 months pregnant and my son is nearly 4! I have an umbilical hernia aswell which they've said doesn't need repairing yet but it sometimes pops out and it's becoming painful. Now my DR is hurting at the top, just below my sternum and I can't bend over or breathe deeply. I've stopped picking up my son much to his disgust! From what I've felt, it seems I have a four finger gap. I'm in France BTW, let's hope my Dr takes me seriously and I can get this sorted asap.
Hi, I had my DR surgery 2 weeks ago, a week after I saw the surgeon!

Luckily, it was covered by the Govt because it was necessary and not cosmetic.

I have a vertical scar that goes from my sternum to 2 inches below my belly button - I also had an umbilical hernia repair. I was in hospital for a week.

I'm hoping this surgery helps with ALL the problems associated with my DR and that in time, the scar will be almost invisible.
I did manage to get the tummy tuck part of repairing my Diastasis  Rectus (D.R.) & umbilical hernia approved for payment (& I have Medicare) but only because I have type 2 Diabetes and am plagued with a Chronic yeast skin infection under the folds of the excess skin.(The plastic surgeon sent photos, and she's doing the whole surgery alone without a 'general' surgeon) People with Diabetes are more susceptible to getting yeast skin rashes but also it's dangerous to have Chronic open unhealing wounds in the skin when you have Diabetes. I actually had to fight to get the D.R. repair approved too, but since I also have degenerative spinal disease and (adult onset) scoliosis, which my Drs. saw worsen from the D.R..  I cannot even hold my upper body up erect when standing or walking without using canes so my arms can push me and hold me up, from the D.R. ! And that is making my back worse too! My surgery is 10/18/11 (and then as soon as I'm healed enough from that I'll probably be having another spine surgery...!). Nobody should have to fight to get D.R.(& related tummy tuck) repair paid for, even if it's not as bad as me.  All the different stories I hear about are all tragedies in their own right and need fixing. good luck to all..
Hello, I would really like to know what city you live in & what doctor you went to, as I have same problems but no one will cover. Thanks! It would be GREATLY appriciated. - Anna
Hi! I live in the Charlotte, NC area.  If you're in the area, email me and I'll send you my surgeon's information. here is my email address coded:  senica at comporium dot net
Has anyone ever had the DR repair and hernia repair without the tummy tuck? If so How did it turn out?
I have a severe and uncomfortable diastasis recti and a lot of excess skin. I was referred to a general surgeon re having the diastasis recti fixed, thinking I would have to negotiate having the skin removed but that the diastasis recti would be repaired, only to be told that they wouldnt do any of it as the muscles would only spring apart again and so it was a waste of time. Is there anybody on here who has had the surgery over 2 years ago who can tell me whether it has remained successful as I just feel it was easy to fob me off and that the real reason is funding on the NHS in the UK.
Hi, I read your post with interest as I have also been told the same thing recently after having a laproscopy to fix a suspected umbilical hernai and a suspected inguinal hernia. They told me on recovery that I had DR and that they had just closed me back up as there was no point stitching them together as they would only ome apart again. My post-op appt that I had this week, they told me that I could exercise again freely with no caution....arent we supposed to be avoiding crunches, sit-ups, etc?
Im interested to know if you have got any furher with this as I am considering going back to my doctor to ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon.
Has anyone experienced a complete diastasis recti after abdominal surgery and if so how successful was the surgery?   I was in a head-on accident and experienced severe abdominal trauma. It is now 7 months later and I look like I'm 6 months pregnant although I lost 25 pounds since the accident and didn't look pregnant before. The surgeons did not place a drain in me and brushed me off when I asked about the pressure and the swelling. The entire incision split 10 days after  I was released and out came a flood of seris fluid. I live in a rural area and will likely go to SF or Southern California or the Portland, Oregon area for surgery but want to find a really good surgeon so would also appreciate if you know of one....or two. Thanks!  
OK So I stumbled on this thread and I need help from anyone who can offer it to me!  I had my son 16 months ago and I have diastasis recti and a hernia.  I am in so much pain all the time.  So much that I have to take pain medication frequently.  I have lost about 20 pounds in the last 2 months.  I have constant bowel problems but I am assuming that it is related to the diastasis.  The GI doctor can't find anything wrong with my stomach is why I am making this assumption.  I can't lay on my back or side without pain.  It hurts to hold my son and play with him.  I am just always in sever pain.  Is anyone else having pain at this level?  I met with the surgeon and I am having surgery on Jan 20th.  But now that I see all these posts I am scared that I am going to have lots of skin that needs to be removed which will not be covered.  I am not overweight but I do have a poochy belly.  Will the repair of the diastasis recti make that worse?  Please anyone that has had this done get back to me I am worried...does it help the pain?
Hi, I have been trying to read up and become informed on all of this, since I was also diagnosed with a ventral hernia and rectus diastasis after having my 3rd child last year.  Your story interested me....since it sounds very similar to mine.  I have also been advised to have the hernia repair, along with the abdominalplasty, but I have been hesitant because also being a small frame, I haven't known if I really needed the tuck.  I am in really good shape (everywhere else) and have no stretch marks...just a bulging bump.  I have been curious if the repair alone would fix it and then would I be able to get back to normal.  But, if that is not the case, I would really love to know what you ended up having to pay out of pocket for the plastic surgery portion?  I would gladly appreciate any other advise or information as well.  Thank you so much!
Oh girl!!! I am soooo in your same boat!! I am frantically looking on here trying to find out the exact same questions!  I have also been diagnosed with the same things and am trying to decide what to do.  I am not over weight either (just have a 3-4 month looking pregnancy pooch) but am 120 pounds and decently fit everywhere else. But I am so afraid that repairing the diastasis without the tuck, may leave a bunch of extra skin that is not seen right now. Yet we really don't have the money to just hand out for an  cosmetic surgery that may or may not even be necessary (nor to I feel good in my heart to spend that kind of money on something like that).  But I am really scared to have the procedure because I don't know what I will look like after.  Such a HUGE decision!! If you get any advise or words of wisdom....PLEASE share!!! Thank you so much!!! BTW....I love Jesus too!!! :)
Hi! I have beeen reading your thread.  Thanks so much for the information...it is helpful, as I am trying to gain as much information about all of this as I can, before making a decision on how to go about this repair.  Do you mind email me and give me some more information...like:  how much you paid out of pocket for the tummy tuck?  After the repair, and without the tuck, were you told that you would have a lot of excess skin to remove?  I am just having a hard time shelling out that kind of money....wondering if in my case it is really necessary.  I weigh around 123# and have a belly pouch.  But the separation of the muscles is 2-3 inches and my ventral hernia is large (like a goose egg sized tumor).  I am just needing help deciding if I should pay for the plastics part.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you soooo much!!  ***@****
I am very interested in your story...as I am in the same boat now and have been frantically trying to research all about this procedure and the cost (and risks).  Very curious....did insurance ever pay for any of the repair or tuck?
***@****
Hi, I am new to this forum.  But it seems that we are all dealing with the same sort of problem.  Currently I am trying to decide how to go about scheduling the repair of my ventral hernia and diastasis.  Since it seems not insurance companies are paying....do you mind to let me know what you ended up having to pay the PS for the removal of excess skin?  I, like you, am a small frame and don't feel that I have a lot of excess skin.  But I am afraid of what there could be if I don't do the procedure?  So are you saying you paid for a full tummy tuck?  Or paid for part of it?  I would love to know a ballpark dollar amount if you don't mind....?  Thank you sooo much! ***@****
Please send me an email at senica at comporium dot net.  You have to code your email address or the system admins will **** it out.  

Senica
K. Thanks! :) will do
I have read all of the posts on this site as I was trying to figure out if i would need a full tummy tuck. I too had a hernia so my pcp referred me to a specialist who then informed me that I had the worst case of DR he had ever seen before. So to make a long story short I had surgery to remove the DR while i got my tubaligation done by another doc at the same time, only a couple days ago and the specialist just performed a minituck and to my surprise there isnt the extra skin many of us small frame ppl are worried about. Good luck to you guys
I am scheduled for diastsis recti repair april 2011. Can anyone tell me what to expect after surgery and the recovery time?

Thanks for your help.
my surgery is april 2012.
Did you have your surgery?  What was the outcome?
Reading all these posts is not making me feek crazy anymore. I'm 28 with three children. 11, 5 and 8 months. I noticed after my second child that i had a lump in my tummy and still looked like i was pregnant. Now after finding out now that i have diastasis recti and also have a umbilical hernia where is now i have concern. My general surgeon did my gallbladder removal in 2011 and seen my hernia and did nothing. Now it got bigger and painful. Shes aware of my diastasis recti and just told me yesterday theres nothing that can be done about it...WOW like really. I googled it and theres surgery that can correct this issue. I need help I want to do both procedures at once. She wants to scheulde my umbilical Hernia Surgery next week already.  I want both issues addressed. What should I do. Anyone know of a good surgeon in the bay area. I live in Hayward,ca. Thanks
hi how are u i am having similar issues and i need to know how to go about putting that through the insurance please further explain to me how this was done please email me to ***@****
currently i had twins 8 months ago i have a huge problem with the diastesis recti and i am also having problems with my bowels i just dont know whats next i also have a hernia i have been told only thought a tummy tuck which isnt covered will my tummy b flat again, the insurance does cover the hernia repair still i dont have the $8,000 out of pocket for tummy tuck please respond thanks
Let me know if you see an attorney. I, along with others I'm sure, would sign a petition or something to get the insurance companies to wake up and realize that this is a MEDICAL issue, not cosmetic!

Keep me informed

Icantmakethisstuffup
Hi! I have had enough of all the same issues stated - bowel issues, urinary issues & lower back pain.  I am going to begin the process that I assume will lead to surgery - seeing a general surgeon & a plastic surgeon.
So, I want to know...
What exactly did the general surgeon do? And how was it worded &/or coded on insurance papers?  And what insurance?  Did insurance cover the anathesiologist fees, too?  
When did you begin caring for your kids again?  
I am so hopeful to get rid of these uncomfortable and sometimes painful ailments based on your entry but further details would be appreciated!!
Thanks for your post.  Are you saying you were able to get your insurance to cover this?  Can you explain how and what insurance you have.  So appreciated!!!
hello can you please tell me what insurance you have?  Thanks!!!
Hi can you please tell me what insurance you have and how you got them to cover it? Thank you so much
Greetings to all affected Ladies --
I was perusing the internet to see if indeed Diastasis Recti was ever covered by insurance.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Louisville Colorado -- and an expert in this type of surgery.  I have tried for years to help women get this procedure covered by insurance.  Occasionally, when coupled with a genuine hernia repair (what we call umbilical or ventral hernia), coverage of the muscle separation is remotely possible.  Never has the excess skin excision been covered by insurance.  In reality, repair of the diastasis recti will also fix the hernia, if done correctly by a skilled surgeon.  My office and I will continue to research this issue, and follow-up if any success is achieved.

I am looking for someone to repair a very very very severe diastasis recti separation.  I look 6 to 7 months pregnant and am in a lot of pain day to day.  I am asked all the time if I am pregnant.  I live in East Texas and am looking for someone in the Dallas, Tyler, or anywhere in east texas. I am nerves and need a GREAT doctor because my quality of life is at stake. thanks.
I live in Charlotte and I am looking for a surgeon to fix my Diastasis Recti. I was reading through the comments and ran across your post. Will you please email me you doctors contact info?

Sheila

***@****
Please email me at senica @ comporium dot net. My email is coded. The site doesn't allow emails.
Hi...sorry my response is so late. I have private insurance through my employer. They only covered the muscle repair. It was covered because I also had a hernia. My general surgeon couldn't fix the hernia without doing the muscle repair. I paid for the removal of the skin (tummy tuck) out of pocket.
Hi...a tummy tuck is not covered by insurance. Only the muscle repair is covered. I paid out of pocket for the excess skin removal (tummy tuck).  I also had a hernia and my general surgeon repaired the hernia and the muscles at the same time.

Good Luck!!
Hi...sorry so late. The general surgeon repaired my muscles and the plastic surgeon removed the excess skin. I'm not sure how it was coded with my insurance company. I believe that it was ultimately covered because I also ha a hernia. I had to pay for the plastic surgeon, 1/2 operating room costs and 1/2 cost of anaesthesia (sp?).  I had surgery when my baby was 15 months. I had help for the first 3 weeks. After that I only lifted him when necessary...about twice a day.

Good luck!
just wondering how it went with you? I have DR and an umbellical hernia too. Im wanting to have my insurance cover this surgery because im in constant back pain! I go to the dr tmw to follow up on my MRI.
I am so glad I found this forum! I too have DR and have had a consult with one plastic surgeon.  She advised me insurance WILL NOT cover the abdominoplasty....so please keep us posted as to what your dr says!  

Who is your doctor? I had a hernia when I was younger in my belly button. I had two particial historectomies n have a lot of bowel problems where they took 3 n 4 inches of my intestines out. I'm having severe stomach pain for 4 years n I have a hernia between my breast bones. They always check my gallbladder out and find out that the gallbladder is fine. It looks like I'm 5 to 6 months pregnant but after I eat my belly gets bigger n hurts worse. I've had accidents with my bladder a lot. When I cough or sneeze it gets worse. I go to the bathroom a lot but hardly go. I'm out of work now n got Medicaid n was wondering if I they would cover this. I also have degenerated disc in my lower back. Can you give me your doctors name n number so I can talk to her. Thanks julie
Your first move is to find another doctor!  Any physician who treats a patient's concerns as "minor" should be fired on the spot.  Good luck to you.
Hi Everyone,
I recently had DR (2/25/16) repair and inguinal hernia repair. No matter what the insurance companies say DR is clearly a medical condition.  I suffered with chronic sever lower back pain for years (didn't know what it was) gait was off balance and constipation that eventually caused hemmroids. I thought getting a personal trainer would help me loose my abdomen which looked 6 months pregnant on a very thin frame. I became extremely tired of wearing large tops & sweaters every season (summer also) to cover my abdomen and people asking me "are you pregnant?" "when are you due?" No matter what anyone says exercise will not help your DR only surgery will, in fact the crunches and sit ups made my DR worse. Insurance will pay for both surgeries it all depends on how your physician documents and code.  My insurance paid for everything.  We need a support group for DR, we need to change the insurance practice. DR, regardless of any discomfort should be covered by insurance. As of today my weekly constipation and painful lower back pain no longer exist. My gait is also much improved and I feel fantastic.
How did your doctor word it?
fabulous! Can I get details on the code or word usage your physician used please