Cosmetic Surgery Community
hard breast implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

hard breast implant

I am currently being checked for Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma of the breast. I have had saline textured implants for 10 1/2 years. I started noticing some swelling and pain in my left breast in November 2011. It has been hard as a rock since then. I didn't go see my PS because I did not have the money for the checkup and insurance don't usually cover these things. In June, the breast had become so swollen, hard and very uncomfortable and since it had been 2 yrs since I had seen my OB-GYN I decided to make an appt for a full examination. After she did the breast exam, she said. "I have never felt a breast so hard, and I have felt thousands by now." She sent me for a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound. The breast doctor said the same thing. She came into the ultrasound room to do the US herself. She said, "in the nearly 30 years I have been practicing I have never seen anything like it." She stated, I had fluid all along the outside of my implant, she said it should not be there! She said, my implant appeared to be intact and if it did have a leak my body should be absorbing the saline. And my breast should have just deflated. She sent me for an MRI, but she did mention a letter was sent out about a year or so ago warning of a rare cancer called Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. I sent an email to the FDA and requested some literature about alcl. They sent back and said they had forwarded my email to a Dr. Epstein a scientific researcher at USC. He sent an email and said he had forwarded my email to Dr. Brody a PS @ USC. Dr. Brody called me and said I needed to see a PS and have some fluid aspirated and sent for pathology. I had my MRI last Thursday. Haven't got results yet. My question is, since it has been 8 months would this have spread beyond the breast?
Since it has been a long time when you have been diagnosed with ALCL and the fluid has been sent for microscopic examination, hence nothing can be said with confirmation if the cancer has spread or not.  MRI can throw some light on the subject.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.