914?1298797455
Crohn's Colitis Forum- Chronic Digestive Diseases User Group
Post hemicolectomy/ gluten intolerance
About This Group:

Information and Support forum for people with chronic digestive problems/diseases, such as - Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, IBS, Pancreatitis, GERD, Diverticulosis, Gastritis, Autoimmune Diseases associated with the intestines. Chronic diarrhea, bloating, cramping. DIET MATTERS - LIFESTYLE CHANGES HELP.REDUCE STRSS Getting better without all the DRUGS! What are the most current helpful treatments available for these conditions, your disease? If you have an article, share it. If you have a treatment that works for you, share that too. We will get better because we do have control on our overall health and can eliminate/reduce inflammation in our body. There is power in numbers. When we come together - we have power to overcome and move forward in good health. The more we know the more power we have! Support and Understanding - Chronic illness is very much misunderstood by people that do not suffer from one, they just don't get it. People, even your family members, have difficulty wrapping their brains around these conditions/diseases. There are people that do understand and do experience similar symptoms - You are not alone and can get support and help from people that care. PS: Conventional treatments for Autoimmune diseases and inflammatory conditions work for some, but really only treat the symptoms. It's easy to take a pill and continue with the day without a change. If this makes the pain go away, you think you are better. For a lot of us, our bodies need more and deserve more. We need to make a change and step up and do what our body requires of us to get better. We need to listen to our bodies and respond to our needs. It takes effort and requires motivation, will and faith in something more. **TAKE ACTION TO CHANGE YOUR SITUATION**

Founded by CakeisgoodFrostingisbetter on February 27, 2011
36 members

Post hemicolectomy/ gluten intolerance

In 2008, I had a right sided hemicolectomy. I also has a small portion of my small intestine that was attached to my colon removed in the surgery. I was given Dilaudid to help with the pain from the surgery. Things went less than smoothly and I ended up in the hospital on a Dilaudid drip through a PICC line from July 8-August 25. I then developed gastroparesis and narcotic bowel so was sent to UNC hospital to withdraw from the narcotic. The Klonodine that given to offset the effects of withdrawal crashed my BP and I ended up on a halter monitor for 6 weeks following a crash in BP to 49/47. It is not surprising that the months following were spent resting and in a state of severe fatigue and feeling badly. I began to make a comeback and regain my strength, however, I continued to experience what was diagnosed as IBS/C and required doses of MIralax 2-3 times a day in order to have a bowel movement at least twice per week. About a year later, I began experiencing severe fatigue and chronic nausea, both of which were attributed to the severe constipation. I later developed pain in my knees, wrists, toes, and fingers. I had re-occuring episodes of edema in my ankles, feet, thighs, and fingers. My salt levels were chronically low, despite using exorbitant amounts of salt in my diet, and my amylase and lipase were constantly elevated. I also had high B12 levels (which were very high but apparently not a cause for concern). I had low ferratin levels and went through IV Ferratin infusions to bump this level up. 6 months later, they were quite low again. After being told that my doctor was considering putting a pace maker into my intestines (I gradually became completely unable to have a bowel movement without the use of an enema, even after drinking an entire dose of GoLYTELY), I decided that I needed to figure something else out. My ANA was normal. My sedimentation rate normal. I tested negative for Lyme's Disease. I tested negative for Celiac. I decided to try eating gluten free despite the Celiac diagnosis. Within 3 days, I had a bowel movement on my own. Within 3 weeks, the swelling was down and the joint pain was almost gone. Here is my question. I still have some joint pain and still fall under the category of IBS/ C. My GI doctor does not believe in the GF diet following a negative celiac test (which he didn't administer because I did not have diarrhea). Has ANYONE out there had any sort of similar experience to me, or does anyone have thoughts on my story? I'm quite desperate to be able to put this all behind me and live a normal life again. I miss normal life and can't continue to pay the medical bills that I'm continuing to accrue!
TexasLadyJ commented on 09.13.10:: zoloft mak...
May 02
Kroeker101 joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 25
Ksmith72 joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 16