Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Am i eating loads because of the medication im on.?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

I wasnt eating very much and was bleeding from my back passage wen i was going to the toilet. When i went to the doctors they sent me to the hospital where i had 2 stay in for a week n a day and got diagnosed with chrones (IBD) and was very anemic and was put on a load of different medicines and had two have two blood tranfusions. I started eating more n since i came out of hospital im find my self not being able 2 stop eating im just never full up. Im on ferrous sulphate, pentasa, prednisolone tablets and predfoam. Is being on the steroids/tablets making me want to eat all the time..?
Hi Becca - yes, afraid that steroids (prednisone) gives you a tremedous appetite. They often give you insomnia as well.

Liz.
Thanks for your answer atleast i no why now lol.
Hi again Becca - please be aware that eating loads will make you put on a lot of weight - with steroids you get moonface, a big fat pad on the back of the neck and I went from 60 lbs at diagnosis to some 150 lbs in 6 weeks. My doctor put me on a 750 a day calorie diet as the weight was affecting my heart. I am only 5'2" so 150 lbs was way out of comfort zone.

Also be aware of another long term effect of steroids - thinning of the bones. I was on prednisone for some 30+ yrs, until I found methotrexate was being used in the USA nd begged my gastro to prescribe it off licence. The steroids significantly depleted my bone mass and after a recent DEXA bone density scan I was put on a bisphosphonate, Alendronic Acid, once weekly, plus Calcichew/Vit.D.to strengthen my bones.  The sooner you can get off steroids and on to some long term immuno-suppressant to keep the Crohn's in remission, the better. Steroids still have their occasional use to bring a flare under control, but I have found being on methotrexate for 7 yrs, I don't have flares anymore, which is really good news, and my weight at 112 lbs is normal.  My gastro will not now prescribe steroids for me, as I got steroid induced psychosis when dx with breast cancer - and that was one nightmare I never wish to have again.

You do need to look after yourself when having Crohn's - have you had your B12 tested yet? If the Crohn's is in the terminal ileum, you may not be able to absorb B12 and could need monthly injections, as I have.

Good luck and hope you stay in remission.
Liz.