Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Upper right pain

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Upper right pain

Hi everyone ! I am new here and i just thought i would introduce myself and let everyone know a little about me... I am 23 years old with a little girl and I have had reccurent (sp)? abdominal pains for about 3 or 4 years in my right upper abdomen... I had my appendix and gallbladder removed and adhesions removed to try to figure out if this is what was causing the problem... Well, Needless to say it didnt help ! I have had numerous tests and bloodwork done and I feel like im standing at a dead end here.. I have changed my diet to see if it was something to do with the foods I was eating... Also, I have lost alot of weight and can not seem to get over the 100 pound mark... I am so confused...

Here are my sypmtoms, Severe sharp stabbing pains right under my ribs on the right side of my stomach... They come and go... But when they come im doubled over in pain... I cant find any releif... Nothing i take OTC or prescription medicine seems to work... antacids, IBS med, and ect..

Does anyone have this going on ??? I am desperate to find some answers ! I am going to see a new doctor sometime next week so maybe i can get some ideas here to better help me when i go talk to my new doctor ! Thank you guys so much for taking the time out to read this post and I look forward to hearing from you !  
Hi - sorry you are having such difficulties. Perhaps you should see a gastroenterologist and have him/her look for Crohn's disease, Ulcerative colitis, or inflammation of the pancreas.  Severe loss of weight usually means, if you are eating well, that you are having a problem absorbing your food and this can lead to malnutrition. You should also be tested coeliac disease, as this can affect your absorption of food.

I have had Crohn's for 37 years, and when I get a flare, I lose weight rapidly, have severe diarrhea and cramping in my abdomen with pain around the terminal ileum (next to the appendix). In addition to my weekly shot of methotrexate, I take 1 tablet of Triptofan in the morning, and this slows the motility of the food and helps with the abdominal cramping. It is on prescription. I also take one tablet of codeine phosphate in the morning and this dulls the pain.

However until you get a proper diagnosis, my meds are irrelevant to you. I would guess your doctor needs to order an upper GI series with barium, and/or an endoscopy of your small intestine. If these are clear for inflammation and obstructions, then a colonoscopy of your large intestine would be the next step. Has your stool been tested for parasites? This is another possible cause. I have a regular 3 monthly calprotectin assay test of my stool. This is non invasive and quite cheap to do, compared to the scopes. If the calprotectin level is high (norm is 20, mine can be as high as 80), then the gastro knows I have inflammation somewhere in the gastric tract and we can then proceed to invasive testing to find out exactly where it is.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully other forum users will come along with their own ideas.

Take care,
Liz.
Thank you so much for responding... I have been to numerous forums and just cant seem to even get a response... I Had a Endscopy (SP) done and they said i had a slowed digestive system and gave me prevacid or prilosec... neither or which worked... I never understood why they did not do any further treatment ?? But anyways, I am in the process of fiinding a new GI doctor because apparently he did not do a thorough job... I looked up that disease that you mentioned and I am writing all the stuff that i want to be tested for down...lol.. I just dont want to miss anything...

Again thank you so much for taking time to respond to me you dont know how much this means to me :)