485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Legalizing Marijuana in America
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
37 members

Legalizing Marijuana in America

How do you feel about this? Yay or Nay and why? What say you?
-20 Comments
I agree with Rory.
Rory makes an excellent point.  Also...

When I was in treatment for cancer, I found that marijuana was the only thing that gave me complete relief from the nausea caused by chemotherapy and radiation.  It also helped me to eat when food was that last thing on my mind, and it gave me from relief from the terrible anxiety.

My state does not permit the prescribing of marijuana for medical purposes, and I was forced to buy street drugs.  The prescription medications offerred me were very expensive (one antinausea med cost $40 per pill) and were not completely effective.  I was shocked to see that my insurance providers would spend $1200 for a ten-day supply of ineffective medication, but the law probibited me from using marijuana, which actually gave me some relief.

We could save trememdous sums on law enforcement and on prescription medication if we would legalize marijuana.
I too agree with Rory, and yes it does help people with things like nausea and pain in cancer and other diseases. I think this will happen. I wonder tho, since coming down on smoking tobacco, wont this be a double standard of sorts? Or will they legalize it and then tax the heck out of it? And would there be an age limit like cigarettes and beer.  I have used it in the past and it just makes me paranoid so I am not a candidate for using it! And I guess there is always the group like me who should not partake, so what do we do with us?
I've never tried it, so I can't say how I'd react to it; nor have I done a lot of research on the medicinal properties, however, I have heard that it does do quite well to ease pain in some instances.  I have a good friend whose son recently passed away from hep C and toward the end, they were giving him marijuana - also purchased off the street.

I'm not sure I would be for just anyone being able to walk into the local department store and buy it and I do think there should be an age limit; after all, who wants their 10 yr old running around high all the time?  And what long term medical issues could arise from constant use (like smoking being associated with heart trouble, lung cancer, COPD, etc)?

We hear a lot about how many hundreds of thousands of $ are spent to treat smoking "issues"; would we be facing the same thing with marijuana?  

There are some good points made by others, so I won't add much.  Getting unbiased research into the pro's & con's is definitely worth it considering the medicinal benefits that have been attributed to marijuana.

I empathize with jdwithhcv in her situation that she wrote the following about:  I was shocked to see that my insurance providers would spend $1200 for a ten-day supply of ineffective medication, but the law probibited me from using marijuana, which actually gave me some relief.

I have witnessed that doctors readily prescribe narcotics rather than investigate alternatives.

I just saw this article online:

Wal-Mart fires medicinal marijuana user

After giving his all to corporate behemoth Wal-Mart, a cancer stricken, former "Associate of the Year" who uses marijuana for medicinal purposes, was fired for failing a drug test.
Battle Creek, United States - Joseph Casias suffers from sinus cancer. He also has an inoperable brain tumor. Casias lives in the State of Michigan where the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes is legal.
Casias was prescribed medicinal marijuana by his doctor to help alleviate his pain. This enabled Joseph to become and stay a productive member of society.
In an interview, Casias said:
It helps tremendously. I only use it to stop the pain. To make me feel more comfortable and active as a person.
Casias has been working for the Battle Creek, MI Wal-Mart for the last five years and, in his words, gave them "110%", some days working 12 to 14 hour shifts. In fact, Casias was deemed by Wal-Mart to be such a good worker, that he won the "Associate of the Year" award in 2008.
Wal-Mart has a policy that states that after an on-the-job accident, an employee is subject to a drug screening test. In November of 2009, Casias tripped and fell at work, spraining his knee. After testing positive for marijuana, Casias showed his employer his state issued drug card that says that he is a medicinal marijuana user, only to promptly be shown the door.
When asked to comment on the Casias firing, a company headquarters Wal-Mart spokesperson e-mailed WZZM13, an ABC news affiliate the following statement:
In states such as Michigan, where prescriptions for marijuana can be obtained, an employer can still enforce a policy that requires termination of employment following a positive drug screen. We believe our policy complies with the law, and we support decisions based on the policy.
Now, not only is Casias out of work and receiving unemployment benefits, he was notified a few weeks ago that Wal-Mart is challenging his eligibility to receive those unemployment benefits.
I find myself speechless the insight you've shown here.........

Can't say about anyone else, but there's no way I could have missed it OR grabbed my dictionary, google or anything else, cuz there just wasn't much to look up...............lol

Cheers.........and good night.........hope you feel better soon.
I must admit to being a bit naive about marijuana since I've never used it or been around it much.  I've always heard that marijuana use often leads to the need for something stronger, such as cocaine,heroin, etc - is that true? When I smoked, I often found that smoking one cigarette left me craving the next one.

You are probably right that anyone inclined to, is probably already using it.  I can't help wonder, also, if part of the appeal, to some, is simply the fact that they are breaking the law and "getting away with it".  

Yes, I know that kids can get marijuana in the schools, but yes, it should be illegal to provide it to minors, unless they have a doctor's script, proving that they need it for medicinal purposes.  Buying alcohol and cigarettes for minors is illegal, so buying them marijuana should be also.  

I have mixed feelings about the whole issue because I know it has it's uses, but I also suspect that it can't be that good for you over the long term.

Would legalizing it lead to better quality and less hazard from getting "bad stuff"?  Don't how often this happens either, but I've heard of it.

Although I can understand the potential problems from Pot use (lung problems etc), the benifits of legalizing it, I believe would out-way it. It should (if legalized) be treated like alcohol, with age limits, DUI's etc. I must say, I would much rather see people driving under the influence of Pot, rather than Alcohol. LOL, of course they may only be driving 10 MPH down the highways. I don't smoke it anymore (ok, rare, rare occasion), but I did a lot in my younger days and really don't think it leads to harder drugs, unless there is an existing behavior problem for self destruction. Legalization would stop a lot of the problems were having with Mexico's drug trade, would keep people from seeking it out in the streets and coming in contact with worse drugs. And of course the benifits to those with cancer, glaucoma and other ailments that it seems to help. The gov. could make lots of money on taxing it too.
I just don't see them legalizing it yet, but it would be a smart move.
It might not help with the obesity problem we are having.  Everyone sitting around with the munchies and playing video games :)    This is the one reason I no longer partake...... I don't need anything that makes me hungrier.
Yes it should be legalized. Like most of you I used to smoke it. I don’t know if my metabolism changed or weed was just getting stronger but I didn’t enjoy it anymore.
It used to relax me but got to the point that it was not relaxing at all.
Most of the people my age that smokes it regularly are not exactly the “sharpest knives in the drawer”.  Once I was in a Bar having beer and conversation with an old friend. He said he going outside to smoke one.  I asked for him to sit on the other side of the Bar when he comes back because “trying to hold a conversation with you when your stoned gets on my nerves” (I have the same attitude with people when they are drunk. The big difference is when people are drunk they will not stop repeating themselves, when they are stoned, it is easy to channel the conversation and they forget what they were talking about).
Back to the original topic, people are going to smoke it rather it is legal are not. It seems that we would have learned that lesson from prohibition.
I agree that we are wasting too much money fighting it while the Drug Cartels are getting   richer and more violent. We are loosing money on taxes and agriculture. However, I don’t think it will be legalized on a national level for quite awhile.
nursegirl6572 Wishing my MH family a very... Comment
Dee1956 commented on dustbear's status
specialmom commented on Shannon79's status