485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Romney Dings Obama for 'Gifts' to Minority Voters
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
32 members

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-offers-olive-branch-romney-dings-president-gifts-225118017--abc-news-politics.html

President Obama today heaped praise on his defeated rival, GOP nominee Mitt Romney, saying the former governor's record and ideas "could be very helpful" in shaping policy over the next four years

"My hope is, before the end of the year… that we have a chance to sit down and talk," Obama told reporters in his first post-election press conference.

But even as Obama extended something of an olive branch - which some skeptics saw as disingenuous - Romney was reportedly accusing the president of doling out "gifts" to minority voters to curry their support for a second term.

"The President's campaign focused on giving targeted groups a big gift-so he made a big effort on small things," Romney told donors on a conference call, first reported by Maeve Reston of the L.A. Times. "Those small things, by the way, add up to trillions of dollars."
This guy is SO rude and disrespectful...ATTENTION MR. ROMNEY: You lost because of your policies..The majority of the American People felt your policies did not work for them.You and your party need to go figure out how you will make the American people see how your policies can be good and maybe revamp your stances on some social issues then maybe you and your party have a chance in winning an election in the future....Meanwhile you have the President actually praising this idiot and he's still being as rude and disrespectful as he was during the campaign...Gifts...Please!
Ugh.  This is a difficult topic.  I do hope that Romney's ideas can at least be heard because no matter what you say about him, he does have some business knowledge that might be helpful.  

However, the difficult topic part is that there are great differences in how different Americans see things.  I'm old school.  You work hard, you have a chance.  Got it, jobs are hard to come by.  But I really fear that we have a whole culture of people that aren't all that interested in working for what they have.  I'm not talking about anyone here as I can hear backs stiffening and high horses being saddled up . . .  but we all know that there is a part of the population that hears entitlements and they are very happy.  The more the better for them.  They have little intention of changing their lifestyle and what is their incentive to do so?  

Please don't get angry with me.  

I have personally seen it and think everyone has.  

And Obama is very encouraging of it in my opinion.  Sure, it is a bad economy but for how long can we extend unemployment for example.  I have a friend that put off finding a job because she enjoyed her unemployment benefits.  Gross.  I lost massive respect for her but you know she is far from alone.  

I do believe in helping people get back on their feet but like I said, the growing culture of people that really like being taken cared of worry me and Obama seems to not only be understanding but is welcoming to this scenario.  

Now that is just a perception by the way and may not be true.  And hopefully I have not offended anyone as that is not my intent.  If you mention these things as concerns---  one is often called heartless and that is not at all what I am talking about.  I don't want anyone to suffer in any way.  But I do want people to not feel dependence on the govt. and that entitlements are temporary and that they must put in the muscle to contribute to their own well being.  
Gosh, I think the race was pretty close.  Wasn't any landslide or the whole country saying "we love obama".  He didn't really follow the pattern of other presidents that run for their second term doing much better the second time around or anything.  

I got the impression that people really didn't love Romney OR Obama.  I think that is what has gotten Obama's attention and why he is making a concerted effort to work with the other side (and I'm not going to say "appear" because I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that it is all genuine).  

This country is torn.  Period.  

And it is wholeheartedly true that if you currently live off of entitlements---  you would not vote for a Republican.  Not sure exactly what Romney is talking about but maybe his statement is tied into that.  Might make you mad but Romney doesn't have to play politics anymore.  He's stated he's not running again (not sure why he did in the first place as that gig sounds like NO fun other than the use of that cool plane.)  

Now personally, I'm toning down my dislike of Obama and his policies/agenda and trying to stay open minded.  It is semi desperate times and we need to come out of it.  So, I'm going to just have faith that our 'leader' knows what he is doing.  And I encourage the parties working together in every way to make thins better.  Sadly though, I'm just not sure if the parties have the same vision of what 'better' looks like.  
The race was not close. 332 electoral votes to 206 electoral votes is NOT close. "Obama got 93 percent of black voters (representing 13 percent of the electorate), 71 percent of Latinos (representing 10 percent), and 60 percent of young voters. Thanks to the GOP's rape apologist caucus among other generally bad for women things, he also not too surprisingly won the female vote, getting 53 percent of women voters. But, other generalized groups of people went for the president that we wouldn't necessarily have expected go for Obama." is NOT close....The point is Romney was and is and always will be out of touch. This is the Real Mitt Romney. With these statements he affirmed his 47% comments..This is what he believes and obviously you kinda feel the same way. Well I do take offense because I went to college worked my *** off and graduated. My student loans were not gifts because I paid them all back. Birth control was not a gift to me because again I paid for it. My husband works his a$$ off everyday. Romney is an ***.There are way more Americans in the middle class that work hard everyday and don't get "gifts" from the government than ones that do. Personally I don't think making college affordable is a gift. I don't think providing birth control to young college women is a gift. This is EXACTLY one of the reasons why he lost..He needs to go have a seat.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/11/types-people-who-voted-obama/58794/
The country is NOT torn!
yes, it is.  You know how electoral votes work---  how did the popular vote turn out for Obama?

Looked like 50.4% for Obama and 48.1% for Romney

No landslide for Obama.  And the attitude that the country is not torn is what gets us into trouble.  Many are not thrilled with their candidates but voted for who they needed to and while Obama won the electoral vote fair and square and is our president---  it is not realistic to think that a whole heck of a lot of people were disappointed by that.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/who-won-the-popular-vote-2012_n_2087038.html
And honestly, one of the things I so respect about Obama as of late is that he seems to acknowledge that this is the case and in an effort to lead ALL people, that is important.  
Popular vote

Obama        62,611,250    50.6%
Romney      59,134,475    47.8%

Total           121,745,725

Difference    3,476,775

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/results
Difference    3,476,775

Affirms my statement..We are NOT a torn country....
Let's try and stay on topic. This is about Romney and his rude a$$ comments...
MrsP your living in your own world. You think that the race was not close? It was actually only decied by about 300,000 votes total between FL, OH and one other state that would have given the win to Romney.

The country is very split. Romney did not lose because of his ideas/policies. You talk about the black vote, I would be ashamed to be a true Obama supporter knowing that we won because the majority of black people voted for him because he was black like last time. The black vote turn out has never been even close to as high as it was in 2008 and 2012.

It is not up to the government to make college affordable, it is up to the collages. It is not up to the government to give borth control to people when they can BUY IT THEMSELVES.
My husband paid for every dime of  his own college as well and in fact every single penny of his living expenses from the age of 17 on.  I was luckier, I paid for a portion of my own college, worked continuously during it but also had scholerships and parents that helped.  Why is that relevent to this conversation that you paid for your college loans?  Aren't we supposed to do that?  

I don't get what you are saying Mrs. P.  I wasn't referring to you or anyone here.  I was talking about people that live off of entitlements and don't want that to change.  Those people wouldn't vote for a Republican.  That has nothing to do with you.  Republicans are not as 'entitlement friendly'.  I have no idea why that is so insulting.  

I voice my genuine fear that there is a growing culture of people in this country that feel that entitlements are the way to go and somehow that applies to all Democrats?  I never said any such thing!  

I think this should be a safe place to voice how we feel.  When it is taken personally is when we get into trouble.  The other option is to just never discuss things truthfully.  (and by truth I refer to what one person thinks as that can often be far from the actual truth).  
mrs.P, I'm glad obama acknowleges Republicans as being a huge part of this country and wants to work with us.  Kudos to HIM!
US population=311,591,917 total number of votes seperate the 2=3,000,000 a drop in the bucket for the popular vote. Country is 1/2 and 1/2.

Romney's comments were 100% factual. Every government program that has to do with giving things to people has grown under Obama. It's not about helping them get off the programs, it's how to keep them on the programs and keep that voting block. get them dependant on the government.
Romney is an idiot as are most of the republican pundits and TV stars who are now trying to figure out just what universe they were living in.....or pretending to live in.

Nothing to figure out, I have explained it at least 2x's now as to why Romney lost. Has nothing to do with Romney's policies but has everything to do with a campaign of lies and race.
"I don't get what you are saying Mrs. P.  I wasn't referring to you or anyone here."

I didn't say you were. I said you obviously agree with him. Besides I was responding to Romney's comments in the article....

Entitlements include Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Disability, Veterans Benefits which people pay into, sacrifice their lives for, or at no fault of their own ended up on them.. So those people don't want change? Welfare and unemployment (which some people do abuse) are a part of entitlements but not the whole thing...

Vance,

I'm def not in my own world. I can see what the world is...Thank you!

"The country is very split. Romney did not lose because of his ideas/policies. You talk about the black vote, I would be ashamed to be a true Obama supporter knowing that we won because the majority of black people voted for him because he was black like last time. The black vote turn out has never been even close to as high as it was in 2008 and 2012."

You are obviously in your own world because the black vote alone did not win him the election...The reason for the bigger turnout was the voter suppression from the right!....Romney did loose on his policies. The majority of people just did not want any part of his policies...Its a fact!
Vance, your explanation is utterly unconvincing. Just because you say it doesn't mean it's not true - though that often is the case.
Well, I think the popular vote was pretty split.  I think this country is indeed torn and I am glad that President Obama seems to be noticing this and sensitive to it.

I would have to go back and listen to Romney's statement about 47% comment.  What I am saying is not that everyone on entitlements wants to be.  I don't believe that.  I do fear that there are a growing number of individuals that do.  And those that do would not want a government that looks to them to be temporary in their fixes.  

I don't speak of our country's disabled and elderly as I'm proud that we have programs to help them.  I think you realize who I was speaking of.

I also don't think Romney is an idiot.  Sometimes doesn't say things the right way or says the wrong thing entirely but if this makes someone an idiot . . .  every single person here at the CE is an idiot as well.  I think he has a lot of knowledge that he can offer and am glad that President Obama is interested in hearing it.  

Based on these comments and the 47% comments, he's an idiot!...
MrsP THERE WAS NO VOTER SUPRESSION! You buy in hook, line and sinker to what your feed. But there is an investigation of voter fraud going on because of the vote totals for Obama in certain areas. No the black vote alone did not win the election but if the black vote turn out was the same in 2004 as it was in 2012 we would be in recounts all across the country.

Romney did not lose on his policies and you can believe what you want but your always seem to avoid seeking the truth.

Mike you can not find one statement that I have made that is not truthful. If I did ever say something that was wrong then I have gone back and corrected myself.
47% statement was fact. 47% no matter what he did or said was not going to vote for him so why should he spend time trying to get there vote?
Well, it is okay to call him an idiot I guess.  Feels good?  

He'll drift off to nowhere land in the future as those who failed at running for the presidency do.  And then we'll have someone new on the right to be called an idiot, woman hater.  
" Well, it is okay to call him an idiot I guess.  Feels good?"

No. I'm not calling him an idiot to make myself feel good. If he didn't say idiotic things like this then I wouldn't have to.

"He'll drift off to nowhere land in the future as those who failed at running for the presidency do."

God willing....  
"MrsP THERE WAS NO VOTER SUPRESSION!"

Ok Vance, if you say so...
Oh Mrs.P, you forgot the part about another person soon to follow on the right that will certainly be an idotic woman hater to you!  god willing?  

I do my best not to call Obama names, I really do.  But he is our president and deserves our respect.  Romney is now just a citizen and I'm sure open to any names anyone wants to throw his way.  I'm sure the guy has to be semi relieved to fade away.  Politics are wicked.

Tell me where. Please show me the voter suppression. Oh because R's wanted people to have an ID to vote? So that is supression? To prove who you are? Yeah right, and guess what that law did not even take effect. So where did R's supress the vote?
So Romney says Obama won the election by giving gifts? rofl..... They dont get it do they? You could say the same about Romney signing a tax pledge to norquist and holding onto not raising taxes when clearly the general public knows this is precisely what has to happen as well as cutting spending. Its okay to give those tax cuts that should have expired long ago and would have if not for this pledge of sorts. And cut everything the rest of the people hold dear in order to pay for them? I thought we had to bring the deficit down? 874 million over 10 years if we let them expire is enuff for me to say, let them expire! But Romneys little gifts are different?

And i AM SICK AND TIRED of hearing people suck into the makers or takers division the republican bandwagon has been rolling out! The makers have been the takers, yet they can diss everyone else? The takers are those on social security, medicare and what? medicaid or unemployment? Try looking up the states where the takers are taking the most. Red states they are! Oh gee!

It is pretty sad when someone doing hard manual labor pays more taxes than someone like romney who makes money off of having money. I say its time to even the tax score for starters.
" Oh Mrs.P, you forgot the part about another person soon to follow on the right that will certainly be an idotic woman hater to you!  god willing?  "

I never called him a woman hater. just an Idiot!

Here's what republican Bobby Jindal had to say aboout Romney's comments:

"Speaking to reporters here at an annual meeting of Republican governors, Jindal said such rhetoric could divide voting groups."

"I think that's absolutely wrong," Jindal said. "We have got to stop dividing the American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent. We need to go after every single vote. ... So I absolutely reject that notion, that description. I think it's absolutely wrong. I don't think that represents where we are as a party, where we're going as a party. That has got to be one of the most fundamental takeaways from this election."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/bobby-jindal-calls-romney-gift-comments-absolutely-wrong-014142107--election.html
You lost me with the takers/makers.  That was a bit like math and my brain is foggy.  I do NOT think Obama was elected because of 'gifts' that he gave.  I do think that there are people that are takers that wouldn't vote for Romney.

Anyway, hm.  Now are you talking percentages Teko.  Because I'm thinking the actual dollar amount that Romney paid is far more than the manual labor worker.  

15% of whatever he has------  say a billion is a lot more than 20 % of 50,000.  (just throwing out numbers there.)

The wealthy could pay a higher percentage rate in my opinion but that does not negate that the dollar amounts that they do pay is pretty substantial and helpful to this country.  
But think too MrsP, something that divides this country is the left's unwilliness to discuss this growing culture of people that want to be supported by the government.  If there is acknowledgement there that this exists, that goes a long way to easing the tension in my opinion.  Because I'd like to know if the left wants that to be the case or if they too would rather it not be.  
Meant *I* think.  
Thank you for the quote from your new VP in 2016.
Here is what I am getting at. The first $100,000 a person makes each year is subject to every tax under the sun. Income taxes, payroll taxes, sales taxes, gas taxes, and excise taxes. All middle class people earn their income primarily from wage income, the most tax disadvantaged form of income in existence. Not only do you pay ordinary tax rates on every dollar, you have to consume almost all of your wage income to live, subjecting all of it to consumption taxes too.

The middle class have every dollar they make dinged by at least four different taxes. Almost all of which are higher than the preferential tax rate of 15% levied on capital gains and dividends. And to top it all off, the middle class actually spends all of their time at work every week to earn their income.

The wealthy on the other hand can invest in tax advantaged vehicles that are subject only to a 15% tax on gains and dividends while sitting on the couch. You don't get income gaps in societies that have truly have progressive tax systems that soak the rich. You get income gaps by having a tax system that socks the bottom and gives breaks to the top.

The truth is obvious to see if you just look around. If the government was truly taxing the wealthy too much and the poor too little, wouldn't we see a society with a smaller income gap?

Regardless, the tax code needs reformed in a very bad way.
Romney has always struck me as spoiled brat used to getting his way.
He simply can not believe that he lost.
He lost, and that's that.
Trying to blame it on this or that is kind of silly. People vote for all kinds of reasons.

I know a woman who is 63,owns her own home, has been struggling to get work.
She  finally found a few part time occasional jobs and is now, thanks to Obama, getting food stamps. The small amount of food stamps she gets is helping her stay in her home, and not lose her very small savings.
Kudos to Obama for helping people and not making them lose their homes in order to feed their bellies.

She doesn't want to be supported by the government.
She would love to have a full time job but at her age, in this economy it's difficult.

And I only wanted to add, talking about those taxes.Also keep in mind that Federal, State and Local taxes do not apply to income in 'secret' accounts located in tax havens.
You call poor people takers ? What about Romney taking jobs and sending them overseas ? What about the corporate takers ? What about the banks stealing people's homes with fraudulent foreclosures ?

Last weekend, I heard a group singing, "America the Beautiful".
  When they got to the part at the that says, " and crown thy good, with Brotherhood, . . . ),
I thought, where has this wonderful concept of good =brotherhood  gone to?

We are all Americans and if we are all housed, clothed and fed, our country is a better place for everyone.

Yes, we need jobs, bring them back from China, treat workers with respect and dignity and our country will prosper.

Greed, over humanity is our biggest problem.
Teko, I agree that the tax code needs to be seriously taken apart and put back together.  I am sure that the wealthiest Americans will be paying a higher rate.  I am iffy on the captial gains tax because that affects everyone.  I don't have a lot but it even affects me.  I was taxed on the money I invested.  And then I'm taxed on it again. So your 'nest egg' is actually less than you think it is because of taxes.  I had to pull some out for an emergency recently and got hit with my capital gains taxes.  Stinks!  But I do also hear what you are saying.

Orphanedhawk.  Temporary fixes are something that I do believe in and am glad when a program helps out in that way.  But . . .  knowing this is going to be something you don't like to hear . . . I also think that people have to also come to a pointi n which they have to downsize.  If they can't afford where they are living AND feed themselves, they should seek shelter elsewhere.  That is not to be rude but if I could afford my house 10 years ago and then we went through some type of situation that changed everything and we could no longer make our mortgage payment---  I don't think I should indefinately own stay in my house because at ONE time i could afford it.  We have to give people a chance to stabilize and fix their situation but when they can't----  perhaps her home is not feasible.  She may need a smaller place, a rental, etc.  That is reality to me.  That is something WE ALL have to figure out.  What we can afford.  And if we have to downsize, that is something we just have to do.  And if we are already at the bottom, that is when programs are there to help.  But I don't know if that should include a lifetime in a house one can't afford and be able to eat.  

Not heartless, but practical.  That is how I like to think of myself.  
Oh, and I do want to say that I appreciate people like your friend OH very much.  Who look for work and take a part time job.  That she is trying is a wonderful thing and I wish her much luck.  And yes, I'm glad too that she is able to get some help.  It is also good that she can have a job AND get benefits such as food stamps because those stories of when it is all or nothing are disheartening to me.  

Anyway, just wanted to add that.
My friend lives in a small one bedroom cottage. Moving out would mean she'd have to rent. Her very small mortgage is much less than any rent in this area, maybe in the state.

I do agree, that downsizing is not a bad thing.
Living within one's means is ideal however it is not what our society promotes. We are a consumer society, and having the latest coolest thing, is a national obsession.
I know too many people who have all kinds of state of the art things and are in truckloads of debt.

BTW: My personal motto is " if I can't afford it, I don't buy it."

Orphanedhawk-----  you and I are on the same page with your motto.   That is our motto as well.  

We are probably considered pathetic by a lot of standard.  We don't own a flat screen tv or a big screen tv.  My kids still get to see the shows their friends do (well, the ones that I personally will let them watch . . . ) but just not as luxiously.  

True story, we had a mom and her two kids move into our area.  I'm pretty connected to the schoo/pta so you learn a lot about families. This woman and her kids qualified for all sorts of things from breakfast at school, lunch, provided back pack, etc.  Very low income living in subsidized housing.  The little boy was new to the school and put in  my son's class.  I called his mom and invited him over to our house to play.  So, I went to pick him up and went to the door.  She didn't invite me in but I glanced.  There sat what had to be the biggest tv I've ever seen.  Like, 80 inches, I kid you not.  The boy was playing an X box and he asked his mom if he could bring his ds over to our house.  

I don't begrudge people things but that tv thing always stands out to me. We see tv as a luxery.  Others see it as a necessity.  They want it and they will buy it whether it puts them in debt or not.  

Not good for them, I'm afraid.  

So, long winded way of saying that I like your motto.

I am involved in an organization that helps feed the less fortunate. I was talking to the executive director last week and she related that lately she is seeing the same people who were donating money and food the last several years coming in this year for assistance and they feel so ashamed and so very sad that they now find themselves unable to feed their families without help.
These people really stand out to me.
Yes, I don't think there is any shame in hitting hard times.  I am never one to think that it couldn't happen to me.  You hate to live like tomorrow is going to be your worst nightmare but you have to plan for that.  And sadly, even then. . .   so much of life is unpredictable.

I do believe in helping people stabilize their situation and giving them financial support while they figure out what the next step is.  And yes, there are some that may always need assistance.  I don't begrudge the truly needy, I really don't.  

I have a hard time with some of the things I see though.  And then there are stories like Mike's that counterbalance that.  

Sadly too many people equate material things with happiness and in our society, success.

Madison avenue has done a good job of teaching people that buying  new things is what really counts.
It wins you friends and  attracts the opposite sex.

Next-Gen GOP Leaders Slam Romney for 'Gift' Remarks

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/15/New-Leaders-Of-The-Republican-Party-Slam-Romney-For-His-Remarks
He won by what... 3%?   The country is torn.
Well, if that is the case, the country has ALWAYS been torn?

Presidential General Election Results Comparison - National

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/

It seems rather obvious the US is divided.  In a pretty big way isn't it?   Hasn't that been the issue for awhile?  
Grrr!  4 times I have tried to post something, I keep getting a message stating "failed to save your post".  WTF???
I too have had that issue! Glad Im not alone! LOL

adgal, of course the nation is divided, and that is sad. Hopefully now that the election is over, things will change. But the election results posted above have the numbers going way way way back. It is not unusual to be this close at all in the results. Which is my point.
We can pretend that everything is okay.  We do that often, then throw money at something that is floundering financially/structurally and assume things are going to be okay....

This government has an opportunity to do some wonderful things, and it is going to take people being adult enough to drop their beliefs in some circumstances and try something new.  I understand how big of a deal this looks like to a lot of people.  People fear change....
orphanedhawk https://www.youtube.com/wat... Comment
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
specialmom Good Friday. Preparing fo... Comment