Absence Seizures and Dementia
My mom is 57 and has just been diagnosed with absence seizures.  Over the last two years she has also been experiencing some memory loss.  She has been attributing the memory issues to menopause.  However, in the last couple of months, she has become more concerned about her memory, due to more episodes of "fogginess", forgetting names, situations etc.  This has led to increased anxiety and worry.  She is just awaiting her next appointment with her neurologist.  I have been trying to do some research regarding the link between adult onset epilepsy and dementia.  Is there a link?  Is it possible that the memory issues are being compounded by her anxiety about them, or could they be related to menopause?

As you can imagine, we are very concerned, especially since she is very young to be having these kinds of symptoms.  
How have things been with your mother since?

My mom is 54 now.  She was diagnosed with absence seizures after we were looking for an answer to her memory loss and cognitive issues.  They tried her on one med, but it didn't work for her.  She got to the point where she is now in a home.  She gets worse every day now, barely remembers anybody.  

They have totally disregarded my concern for her seizures and the fact that she hasn't been on any meds for them for over a year.  

They have now decided that she had dementia of Alzheimer's type.  I don't believe it, I'm looking for another answer.  At least something I can work with, instead of settling and just watching her leave us.  

I hope you have better luck than we did and that you are serious about finding help for your mother, before it is too late for her.