Dementia Community
Semantic dementia

Dementia is a descriptive term for a collection of symptoms that can be caused by a number of disorders that affect the brain. While memory loss is a common symptom of dementia, memory loss by itself does not mean that a person has dementia. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Dementia patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Dementia, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Semantic dementia

Hi, My father was detected with semantic demantia about a year back. He was having problems in identifying objects and spelling out the words. The MRI scan showed degradation of the brain and the neurologist confirmed semantic dementia and ruled out Alzheimers. He has been on a medication of Aricept 10 mg a day for the past 9 months along with his heart medication (ecosprin) post his bypass 4 years back. However since his neuro medication started, his condition has gone worse since earlier it was only about speech. Now his speech has gone much worse, ability to converse has gone down, and doing basic activities like shaving etc needs reminders. He has also started talking a lot to himself.
Keeping these symptoms in mind, we took a second opinion and the new doctor completely stopped Aricept. He has instead precribed the following:
(For morning & afternoon)
1. Parkin-plus (hydrochloride tablets)
2. Norwayz (Idebenone tablets 45 mg)
3. Corus (Vitamins, mineals, fatty acids & amino acids)

For night
1. Sove IT 6.5 (Zolpidem Tartrate Extended-Release tablets)
2. Folinine (Folic Acid, Methylcopalamin & Pyridoxine)
3. Olimelt 5 mg (Olanzapine)

The earlier symptoms like talking to himself, being always agitated etc. has gone down with these medicines. However his speech has turned slurry and made him quite inactive. If he gets up in the night, he doesnt remember to go off to sleep and keeps wandering in the house.

I am confused because none of the medications is stalling the degradation. What step should I take now? Can I send you the reports to look at?

Thanks for your help...
  • Aricept (15 replies):
    Hi everyone, it's been a LONG time since I've posted any...[more]
  • what does my future hold? (1 replies):
    Maybe this is a question many don't want answered, but I...[more]
  • Dementia (2 replies):
    My wife had leg movement problem due to stroke. After si...[more]
  • Dementia (1 replies):
    Can dementia occur in younger men, say 44-45 years of ag...[more]
  • dementia (1 replies):
    my mom has alzheimer's, dementia and she doesn't recogni...[more]