Dementia Community
Senile Dementia - Are Hallunications Normal?

Dementia is a descriptive term for a collection of symptoms that can be caused by a number of disorders that affect the brain. While memory loss is a common symptom of dementia, memory loss by itself does not mean that a person has dementia. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Dementia patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Dementia, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

My father, aged 68, has been diagnosed with Senile Dementia.

He was reporting minor memory losses for about an year, which we thought to be normal at this age, until last week when he had a severe headache and we took him to a Neurologist where he advised to undergo a Plain CT Scan of the Brain.

The scan revealed "Mild Generalizes Cerebral Atrophy" with dilation of ventricles which the Neurologist said was the cause of the Senile Dementia and the headache.

He has been prescribed Neuromin-M (Piracetam + Mecobalamin) once daily for 6 weeks.

It's been just 4 days he's been taking Neuromin and while his conditions have improved somewhat, even though he is still feeling a constant pressure in his head (around the temples and over the eyeballs) and random headaches, but he is also constantly having weird hallucinations, like seeing pictures, sceneries, shadows of people or even full representation of people roaming around and suddenly vanishing.

So I wanted to know whether hallucinations are part of Senile Dementia? Also is this curable through the medicine prescribed to him.

Any advice would be immensely valuable.

Thanks a lot!
Again, I'm not a dr., but I don't believe your father can afford to wait two weeks.  Does the senior neurologist know about those brain scan results?  If not, please insist on speaking to him and make sure HE personally knows about it!

I don't want to unduly alarm you, but if indeed your father has hydrocephalus  (which causes dialated ventricles), and your father is still feeling the pressure in his head, the medicine he is taking does NOT sound sufficient and he needs to be seen RIGHT AWAY, not wait even 1 day!  

I hope you were able to read and understand what I sent you by private message, including normal treatment for this life threatening problem.  Please see private message for info I found today you may find very relavant to your father's condition.

See also info here on medhelp:
http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/1277/Hydrocephalus
http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/1277/Hydrocephalus?page=1#sec_15500
http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/1277/Hydrocephalus?page=1#sec_15502
I'm not a dr., but from what I can see from researching, Mecobalamin is simply vitamin B-12 and not sure what Piracetam is, but see private message for some info I found on that.  Also, see private message about brain ventricle enlargement and treatment, etc..  I'm not a dr., but it looks to me like an emergency situation with too much cerebrospinal fluid.  MRI it looks like is better for viewing the ventricles.  Please, take your father to the emergency room of the best hospital you can get to and ask to speak to a brain neurosurgeon
Thank you so much for your response and for taking the time out to find out more about the medicine, really very kind of you.

We are already consulting with a very senior neurologist from our City. We are about to see him again in another 2 weeks from now. Hopefully my father's conditions improve with the medication he prescribed - he's already doing better but the hallucinations are bothering him a bit.

Thanks again!

See also info here on medhelp:
Thanks again for your help with this. Yes, the neurologist has seen the CT scan slides and the report and had then made his prescription.

However, I am also interested in getting a second opinion and that's why I am looking forward to see another Neurologist in a couple of days.

I have received your PMs but will go through them in more details right now.

Once again, thanks a TON for your assistance.
You got the appointment moved from two weeks to two days then?  Hope they will get him in today!  Especially see the most recent private message I sent you, because you may find it very eye opening!  

I had a cousin who was a child with increased pressure on the brain after contracting Reye's syndrome.  She reportedly was yelling and acting crazy.  Sadly, we lost her 4 days later from that illness.  
Yes, it's with another Neurologist because as I said I want to get a second opinion on this. The second checkup with the first Dr is after 2 weeks.

I went through your recent private message and it's indeed eye opening.

I will surely get in touch with the Neurologist ASAP, if possible tomorrow. Thank you so much for alerting me on this....

Very very sorry to hear about your cousin. Hope she is in peace wherever she is now...

God Bless
I believe she was a Christian, so therefore, with her Saviour and Lord.  If I remember correctly, she was 10 an 1/2 when she passed.  
Too bad she passed away at such an young age.....may she rest in peace.

My prayers for her and family.