Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Bipolar/ Tegretol
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bipolar/ Tegretol

I am interested in information on Tegretol?  What are the main differences in Tegretol and Depakote.  I take Depakote now.  I have recently started taking Depakote again after trying Lithium.
Related Discussions
242532 tn?1269553979
Both medications were originally used to control seizures. It's generally accepted that Depakote is more effective with bipolar.
2 Comments
Blank
I have taken lithium and depakot and now take tegratol. Tegratol has been a miracle drug for me. Depakot (2000mg) only made me fat and eventually quit working the little it was. Lithium (1200mg) only worked for about a year. Tegratol (600mg) has worked for me for over 4 years. The thing is you have to take it on schedule everyday and keep a close eye on your liver when you have your blood level taken every month. After trying different medications I am completely satisfied with the outcome of Tegratol so far.
Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now