Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Black outs in an elderly person

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Black outs in an elderly person

My father is 84 years old and has been having blackouts and passing out in the past year.  He has been taken to the hospital for injuries from these spells.  He becomes very combative and is disorienented after a spell and does recognize anyone.  The doctors dismiss it because they can't find anything.  After a good nights sleep he is back to himself and has no memory of the day before.  They say it isn't his heart, there is no evidence of a stroke or dementia.  Do you have any ideas?
Tags: blackout
At that age, he  probably has some compromised cerebral blood flow, and tiredness, or medications or alchohol can tip the balance, leading to blackouts. You might ask his doctors to try one of the medications that enhances cerebral blood flow.
I would speak to his doctor but make sure they know what medications he is taking. My grandfather had the same problem. First of all his doctor changed and titrated his blood pressure medications and also they found Namenda to be quite helpful.