Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Psychotic or not

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Psychotic or not

I have had times when I feel confused and my thoughts are not quite accurate and I feel paranoid.  The other day I was listening to the radio and a song I didn't care for was playing.  It seemed to go on and on and it played parts that I never remembered hearing before.  At least until the song finally ended, I thought it was being played as a joke juat for me.  It was a period of a few days when I felt confused.  I can tell when my thoughts are not right (sometimes) and it feels kind of like I have stepped into another dimension.  I think my therapist thinks it might disturb me for this to be called psychotic but I really want a straight and honest answer.  When a person has paranoid thoughts like this or thinking that the tail lights of a car could control their mind isn't that psychotic?  Also, when the song quit and when the car drove away (in the second incident)I quit thinking about it except knowing that it was bizarre.  Would you please be honest with me and tell me if that is psychotic?  Even with that brevity?  I know I have been diagnosed with psychotic features by other doctors.  Is psychotic features the same as being psychotic?Thank you.
I want to be honest with you as you requested but I just can't make a diagnosis on the internet without examining you in person.Those are the kind of phenomenon that people who are psychotic describe, and they would tend to be considered as psychotic features.  But that label is misleading.  There are also sorts of degrees of this condition and what really matters is whether it interferes significantly with your reality testing, your day to day functioning, and whether these isolated phenomenon begin to cohere into a view of the world that is wrong and dangerous.  you are right to worry about these things, to catch them early, and to discuss them with your therapist.
well...

what you need is excersise, eat healthy and sleep early
singapore kid- that is, without a doubt, the most worthless and unmeritied recommendation I have *ever* seen. I hate homeopathic medicine.

-James
You are absolutely right.  It didn't help me a bit.  Thanks anyway singapore kid if you were truly trying to help.
From you discription, you think that the song was being played as a joke to you. It may be idea of reference. But you only think but do you really BELIEVE the song referred to you. What was your reaction to such joke? What action did you take? How did you feel? If I say to you someone will not take all the trouble of playing such song just to make a joke on the important you alone, will you still BELIEVE the song still referred to you?
You said the tail lights of a car could control your mind. What do you mean by control? In what way it could control your mind? Is it a firm BELIEF or you are not sure?
The fact that you quit thinking about it afterwards means that such bizarre ideas are not very strong. But they are strong enough to make you talk to you therapist and doctors.
The only way to find out is to have a formal interview with a psychiatrist, who are able to decide if they are true ideas of reference and control, assess you fully and make a full formulation of your problem. And do that soon.
i am not a therapist but i know many people suffer from similar personal refference problems ibelieve I am not certain that for most people they are based on dellusions of self reference.
My unprofessional advice is to keep your personal life to yourself or those who you can really trust or a therapist who is legally sworn to the oath of confidentiality. there is a saying in the music business that i believe goes
"im so parnoid that i know the song is about me." i highly doubt that this is your case. however capitalism can be cruel. Don't get me wrong I think capitalism is great for the most part i am for it. however it can be cruel. It is unfortunate when people get real wealthy capitalizing on other more weak individuals' personal misery who have problems.  and especially when the poor sap does something to hurt themselves. Luckily however people are becoming more and more ethical in their various lines of work. people have been talking about this and professionals have been listening and copping a more compssionate attitude its happening and i think its great!!
I am currently doing research for an upcoming book which deals with the side effects and withdrawals people have experienced from Effexor XR and other (like) anti-depressants. I am interested in receiving any information current or former users would like to share concerning their experiences with these drugs. Please email me @:
beach-***@****
and thanks!
deb