Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Switch from Zoloft to Wellbutrin?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Switch from Zoloft to Wellbutrin?

About a year and a half ago my dr put me on Zoloft 100 mg/day for depression.  I stayed on it for about 6 months and took myself off because I wanted to have another baby, and I thought I was over my "blues," plus I did not like that I sometimes felt nothing at all on the Zoloft, almost empty.  About nine months and 2 miscarriages later, I decided that I really needed to be back on anti-depressants, so he put me back on Zoloft 100 mg/day as well as Topamax 50 mg/day for migraines.  The Topamax has been working wonders for my migraines, and the Zoloft seemed to be working at first, but lately something doesn't seem right.  I am not emotional, like crying, but I'm more angry, which was an issue before the Topamax, but I was able to control it better.  I have heard good things about Wellbutrin, especially as far as energy and focus, but bad things as well.  I guess my question is. as far as mild depression, which I consider my case to be, could the Topamax not be used alone?  Could I have my doc wean me from the Zoloft to see how I tolerate it? Or should I try the weaning over to Wellbutrin to see if it is any better?  I hate the sexual side effects, and I really need more energy.  The Topamax fog is bad enough at times, I really don't like adding the Zoloft fog to it.  Any advice is appreciated.
Related Discussions
242532_tn?1269553979
Your need for medication changes with time and circumstances, and it sounds like you are ready to live in a more awake state now, so by all means, ask your doctor to wean you from Zoloft over a 3 week period, see what is like with topomax (topamax) alone, and if that not enough, then go to wellbutrin which is a good, effective and safe drug.
4 Comments
Blank
470964_tn?1240249855
Thanks.  I talked to my doc, and he suggested a weaning schedule of 50 mg per day for 2 weeks and then 50 mg every other day for 2 weeks before stopping the Zoloft.  I am really hoping the Topamax by itself will help with my moods.  I know it helps with the migraines, which, in itself, is a wonderful mood booster!  Now that my life is not so crazy, I'm really hoping I don't need anything else, but wellbutrin is an option if I still feel like I need something more than the Topamax.  Thanks again for the advice.
Blank
Good Morning, I too am on Zoloft - 25mg a day.  It's been a little more than 4 months.  I was supposed to double my dose to 50 but my anxiety was much better on the 25 so I didn't.  

I am considering quitting the Zoloft too.  I have many of the same issues as you.  I actually feel pretty good, content, no anxiety, but.....I am always at one level, which I know is to be expected.  I loved those extremely spiritual and happy moments I got on a regular basis - sometimes I would feel so much love for my hubby I thought I would burst!  Those feelings are gone and I miss them.  I have to force myself to be affectionate and say loving things.  I have absolutely NO interest in sex and feel nothing when we have it - that doesn't seem fair to him does it?   If really hasn't effected my emotions towards my kids which is nice.

I could live my life this way but if I don't need too, why?  I know with the extreme loving feelings comes the fights too - which were never to bad.  I am a bit scared of having my anxiety come back full force - but at least now I know I have another good tool to fight it.  I get migraines too - since I was a little girl.  They are so much better now since I have stated taking Magnesium - I even take Epsom Salts baths (which is Magnesium).  I would get 1-2 a month so It wasn't as severe as it could be, though once in awhile I would be bed ridden for 2-3 days -  summer time will be the true test, I always get them more often in the heat.  My father had them, as did his mother.  He said for both of them they went away in their mid forties - I am crossing my fingers!!

Hope your weaning goes smoothly - let us know if you start the WellButrin and how it helps.  Take Care, Erin
Blank
470964_tn?1240249855
I did it! I have been completely off Zoloft for about 2 weeks now.  I have not had a "brain zap" in a few days, and I feel pretty good.  Mood swings are still a concern for me, but I also think it is a behavior modification issue for me, because I seem to have them no matter what medication I am on.  I have to make a conscious effort not to sweat the small stuff that sometimes just sends me over the edge.  I even had to do that on the Zoloft...
I still have trouble with fatigue, maybe a side effect of the Topamax, but doc is checking my thyroid and liver enzymes just to make sure everything checks out.  Right now, I'm not on Wellbutrin.  My doc and I think I have Seasonal Affective Disorder.  We are looking into starting Wellbutrin in October if I need to and continuing through March.  I just hated the numbness of the Zoloft.  If I don't need Wellbutrin in the fall, I'll stay off of it.  For now, the Topamax is keeping me mostly headache free and that is a huge burden lifted off my shoulders.  

Thanks!
Kathy
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now