Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Tapering off Wellbutrin?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Tapering off Wellbutrin?

Hi-
I've been taking Wellbutrin XL at 150 mgs once a day for about four months off label for ADHD.
It's always done me pretty well, but yesterday I had a very scary afternoon and evening of shaking, rapid heatbeat, irregular vision and vomiting. I know this can be cause be this medicine. What is the safest way to taper off? My doctor can't be reached and I myself am leaving the country for vacation Sunday. Would I just space the xl pills out a few more hours gradually, of keep taking them and hope this does'nt happen again until I am able to get to the doc.
Thanks for your time!
The best way to get off completely is over a three week period, gradually decreasing the amount of the pill, and then the frequency, so that during the third week you are taking the smallest amount every third day, then stop.
Did you change anything in your meds to cause this or did it happen and you have been taking as prescribed all along?

why i am asking is if you have been taking the same dose for a while and this just happened one day then it seems odd that it is due to the drug.

i do have experience with wellbutrin and tapering off and it is sa quite serious drug let me know answer to my ques. and than i can go in to detail on weening off.
Thanks for responding. I was able to get in touch with my doctor and he suspects this occured becuase I was give otc headached medicine that I did not know contained a very large of caffiene. We did agree that next time I go in for a visit that maybe we would try 100 mgs for me. I've been taking it for for months now, so some dose tinkering still may need to be done.