Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Why can't I remember my childhood?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Why can't I remember my childhood?

I can remember just certain parts of it. Not enough to say "when I was 4.... or when I was 8.... or when I was 16.... I remember my Prom Night.

I know I should remember most of it.  I try very hard to remember but I can't.  I sometimes wonder if something may have happened when I was younger.  It's a terrible thought.

I grew up with many restrictions, parents were very strick, but that's OK.  I have sisters who ask don't you remember that day or when you did that...

I would like any assistance or every an idea of why I can't remember.  I am an intelligent person.  I know there is something, but I am at my wits to know what it is that blanks my mind.

Ladyisis,

Memory impairment can occur due to several reasons like medical and psychiatric illnesses (depression, anxiety, dementia etc). Even normal day to day  stress can  cause problems with memory. It is difficult for any person to remember each and every aspect of their life.  If you think it is affecting your  social and occupational functioning, you may need to get an evaluation by a physician to rule out any medical  factors contributing to the problem. Once the medical causes are ruled out,  you may consider consulting a Mental Health Professional. Good Luck
I have the same problem of not remembering much of my childhood. Part of the cause for me is blocking out the abuse I suffered from certain family members.  Another part of the cause is blocking out the pain and guilt I felt after my mother died of heart disease when I was thirteen years old.  (Un)fortunately, much of my buried memories come out in my dreams at night.  This can be good/bad, depending on whether or not I am having a nightmare.  I struggle between wanting to reclaim my memories and wanting to distance myself from that part of my life.  I have moved past the self destructive phase that I dwelled in for so many years.  I don't know if any of this helps anyone, but I wish you luck in your search.