Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
depression and marijuana

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

depression and marijuana

my 28 year old wife suffers from depression and anxiety and has most of her life. She also has smoked pot daily most of her life. Both run wild on her father's side of the family. She is now on prozac yet still has enourmous disdain for society and professionals (particullarly doctors.) Every doctor has advised that she stop smoking pot, but because no one has said exactly why she refuses and chalks it up as "they have to say that because it's illegal....they probably smoke too." What medically known correlations exist between pot and depression - effects on the cause and/or treatment that can bring her back to sanity? She wants to move to the mountains and join a commune because she can't find happiness in the real world!
Anon,

Marijuana intoxication and chronic daily use has been linked to depression, anxiety and diminished motivation.  It has also been noted that those with concurrent ongoing marijuana abuse/anxiety are much less likely to respond to treatment of these disorders.  Multiple medical problems have also been associated with marijuana use including significant cardiopulmonary impairment.  I hope this is helpful.  Good luck.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords:  Marijuana, Depression
I smoke weed almost everyday and im also suffering from deppresion i dont think that using this daily effects my deppresion. It helps me to cope with daily living . I'm wondering why the doctors say that it is bad for depressed persons to indulge in the smoking of pot? How will it effect me in the years to come? thankyou.
It'll fry your brain.  Maybe not technically but realistically.  Think about this.  While you're high your brain perceives a different reality.  As more and more time builds up and the pot use continues the brain begins to adapt to being high and actually functioning while high.  This may affect your outlook on reality, because your mind does not spend as much time dealing with reality as the person who does not smoke pot.  Just my belief.  This goes for any drug in my opinion.
I smoked 'pot' for many years but I think people miss the connection between cannabis and depression. I don't believe that cannabis directly causes depression but it does stop you from dealing with the real issues in your life which do cause depression. When I was stressed I just smoked a 'joint'. I did this for many years and was effectively hiding from my problems. In the end, my body and mind could take no more of this 'bottling up' and I had a massive nervous breakdown followed by depression and associated symptoms. I hope this helps clarify what may, for some, be the link. I no longer smoke cannabis and must admit to feeling better as a result.

Steve White

Steve White