Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
gagging and dry heaving

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

gagging and dry heaving

Recently I have been experiencing involuntary gagging, which at times becomes so violent that I actually throw up. Sometimes it happens while I am smoking or drinking coffee and, others times the urge to gag is unprovoked. Initially I thought it was due to my smoking or perhaps drinking coffee on an empty stomach, but once it started to happen without those factors I became concerned. I am twenty four, and I am not pregnant, but my appetite is very unhealthy. I don't try to diet or starve myself but it is very common for me to go the whole day without eating, and sometimes when I do finally eat I get so full that I start gagging after I eat and sometimes during. Is it possible that my smoking and bad eating habits are the cause of my gagging or should I consider the fact that I may have throat/stomach cancer? Am I being a hypochondriac?
Tags: gagging
although it is most probably related to your bad habits, and becoming anxious in the midst of eating,smoking or drinking, you should probably have your doctor exam you.  It is not a symptom of stomach cancer, but may involve your throat in some way.
I had the same problem so badly, I was put on an antidepressant (elavil) which stopped the gagging and dry heaving immediately.
Mistake - it was the antidepressant triavil, which is part elavil.