Hello, I have a friend who is taking 25mg/day of amitriptyline for treatment of headaches. Is it okay to have a couple drinks with this, should she skip that evenings dose? With Christmas coming she would like to have some alcohol. I have read that it can increase the effect and of course she won't be driving. Thank you
While I never took Amitriptilyne, I did take Nortriptilyne for about 2 years. The two drugs are kind of sister drugs and work in many of the same ways, although the chemical compound is a bit different.
I drank (in some cases a lot) on Nortriptilyne and never had a problem. Amitriptilyne is a bit more sedating than Nortriptilyne so the result may be a bit different.
I am now on another (very like) tricyclic called Protriptilyne and as of yet have had no problems drinking on this drug.
BUT, as I must always say, this is me and my risk taking. I do not advocate anyone drinking alcohol while on any antidepressant. In rare cases if the person drinks way too much then I have heard of deaths as a result.
So my oppinion...... 99.9% chance your friend will have no problem with 3 to 4 drinks, but I would stop at that point. On the other had what about that 0.10% chance she could get sick from this. Only she can make that choice.
I use to take amitriptyline and have some pharmacy background. I suggest no drinking with amitriptyline to be on the safe side. Amitriptyline plus alcohol could equal respiratory depression, which means possible passing out or in fatal cases even death. It's just not worth the possible complication even if it is only a 0.10% chance of happening.
The last poster is correct and as I said your really not supposed to drink on any antidepressant. What I was doing was giving you my experience and the fact that I used to drink.
Not saying it's a good idea, just saying I did it and got away with it. Your friend may not be so lucky. Also keep in mind that Amitriptilyne is not like an SSRI. It's much more sedating and combine sedation of that drug with alcohol and it could spell problems.
Hi. I'm not sure this is helpful or not but I took amytripline from 10mg up to 100 mg and back down again to 10 mg over a year. I drank as much as I ever wanted ( usually 2/3 beers a day) and I'm still alive - still depressed.
The most unique (and useful) thing about this drug for me was it helped me beat my nic gum addiction which was really bad and it also helped me beat my cannabis habit which had been going on for an even longer time. I've left the nic gum behind but I live with the addiction to cannabis. I could pick it up like that. But if I did pick it up - then I couldnt put it down again.
Amytripline for headaches is a little odd. What about aspirin? Maybe your friend isnt being entirley truthful with you and wants to avoid telling you she has a mental illness. Thats fair enough too. You are a good person to look out for the health and welfare of your friend. Dont judge her. If she wants a drink - I say go ahead. You'll know when you've drunk too much and you wont do it again for at least a week. I respect the advice given above but I'd suggest the real fear of misadventure would be with risk taking, or motor vehicles or guns and violence. Its a jungle out there.
Thank you for all the comments. It sounds like it is a tricky question, amitriptyline and alcohol. I'm sure she wouldn't have more than 3 or 4 drinks max, she's 70 yrs old and doesn't use alcohol much. So would you still take that evenings dose, skip a couple days, does it matter?? Thanks
I used to forget to take my dose occasionally from time to time. I also took half of those 25mg things - generally I believe it stays in your body anyway.
At 75mgs my doctor sent me for an ECG it apparently has been reported as causing some problems woth heart rhythm. I was OK Your friend At 70 years may be more prone to that type of thing.- maybe not she probably got one of the strongest tickers going around !
I think at 70 she deserves to be comfortable and have what ever she wants (with moderation as Hensley258 said) and enjoy life within her means as much as possible.
My psych once told me that older people get depressed about what happened and the decisions they made during their life - he said that when younger life is just so fast and hectic...its when your older youve got more time to think and dwell on it....and get depressed.....
I dont know if thats right or not, but someone once said "old age is no place for sissies"
All the best and merry christmas!
To lifesux_thenyoudie you shouldn't accuse people of lying unless you know your facts. Ive just been prescribed Amitriptyline for my constant headaches and my Dr told me it is used more to cure headaches and pain relief than it is to help depression so you shouldn't throw around accusations like that
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.