Antidepressants for situational depression?
Dear Depression Community,

I was under the impression that antidepressants were useful for treating depression that is attributed to chemical imbalance.  Are antidepressants also useful to people who are dealing with depression brought on by a difficult situation in life?  

A follow-up question:  Are their any antidepressants that do not cause weight gain as a side effect?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Yes, meds can be taken without having to take them for longer periods of time. I do suggest if you've had more then one bought of depression, or you see patterns of depression, then it's not situational. There are a ton of meds that don't cause weight gain. I'm on one that they say can do that, but I am vigilant with regards to my sugar intake has helped my avoid weight gain. I gained a ton of wieght on one drug, but I didn't know that taking that drug could.

Be informed and ask questions from your doctor. I would also suggest talk therapy, to teach you good coping mechanisms like grief counselling. I wouldn't be scared of meds, they just help handling your emotions when you are a dealing with a difficult period of time.
I think the vast majority of us are not actual psychiatrists, so we can only give our own experience, strength and hope for others to share and compare...from *my own* understanding of depression, it's a disorder that is very complex with bio-chemical causes within the human body...there is soooo much that goes into that that's way beyond my knowledge and understanding - even the experts are not always in agreement about everything about depression...

I've met people who really don't *think* they are depressed, but that the world is just a God awful - horribly bleak place and everything goes wrong for them all the time, there are so many that are just not diagnosed...

I have heard of people experiencing an extreme loss, say, the loss of a spouse, child, etc....who have taken antiDs to help them get over the first part of grieving, etc...but who ordinarily only just feel bouts of sadness like anybody else - which is very normal and human...but are having an extremely hard time coping with an extreme situation.

I should think that the most important thing for you to do is get properly analyzed by a psychiatrist...it's been my experience that I have had to interview more than a few to get to a good one that is compatible with me and my own needs, but maybe that's just me...
I forgot to talk about the grief counseling (it really helped me a few times) but I see that LCC already covered that:)...I also think that cognitive therapy helps me a lot...also "gratitude lists" to remind me and help me remember all that I have to feel grateful for, but sometimes I'm lazy and don't do it, funny how it helps so much when I do do it though...
As clinical depression is biochemical it is naturally treated with anti-depressents. Many people experience depression after traumatic events in life. Its not the same thing. Then again, a traumatic event can be enough of a stressor to set off clinical depression that will eventually occur. Only a psychiatrist would be able to tell the difference so I would speak to a talk therapist and a psychiatrist and the psychiatrist could see if you actually have clinical depression. There are some useful websites on the links page for finding out about depression and anti-depressents including "Depression Central" which is an overall good consumer-friendly resource.