Headaches from citalopram?
Hi Everyone  
Im new on here and desperately need some help.
I am on 50 mg of citalopram daily for anxiety and deppresion but about eight weeks ago started to suffer from a headache after coughing hard , the pain is in the left side of my head and hurt more when I coughed or crouched down.My Dr sent me for a CT scan and that came back normal,that was about 4 weeks ago I am still getting these headaches and he now thinks it may be the high dose i have been on of citalopram I have been on the 50 mg since about july and before that I was on 20mg then 40 mg.The headache thing started about begining Sept and is now like a stabbing in the top left hand side of head.
What I want to know is have any of you experienced the same through citalopram? and can citalopram cause this. Is the ct scan a good test for the headaches as I suffer with chronic anxiety.
Many Thanks  
I take 20 mg and I have never had any side effects outside of drowsiness when I first started it.I hope you feel better soon
Love Venora
i have just started takein it  ive been suffrin from pannick attacks  and  stress  for a year now really bad   got to the point wheir i cant leave my house i have allways said ill never take anythin but its got to the point wheir i have to.   im on 10mg and i have really bad side affecs it was my first time takein it yest2day  so prob just my body needs to get use to it  but i was sooo tierd and weak   had dry mouth   i was just reallyyy spaced out.   its put me off takein em  but ppl tellin me their really gd  so  im gunna push my self to take em 2moz im gunna take another 1   what is the best time to take it? cause it really messed my head up.
I have the same tablets an i also suffered from headaches at first but now im fine no bad headaches ,maybe cus my body is getting used to the citalpram .iv been taking them for more then 11 yrs now.
Thanks for replies so far from all.
I would say to booda528 I take mine in the morning.I too have had chronic anxiety and stress for 17 years now which as lead to some horrible symptoms which I just sometimes cant accept are my mental health because they are so physical and dibilitating,I also had a time when I hardly left the house for nearly eighteen months but you do get good times.Im not the best person to say this because I never believe it myself but it does happen.
Take Care
Dear lillbrit
How bad were your headaches and how long did you get them for?
Many Thanks
StevieH
Citalopram is not the best drug for anxiety and depression. I have been given Lexapro which works quite well after you get used to it. My psychiatrist described it as a refined Citalopram drug. Citalopram is the generic form of Lexapro. When she tried to change me over to Citalopram it did not work well. I’m back with Lexapro again.

The problem with Citalopram was that it gave me the shakes and made me hyper and did not help my depression or anxiety much.
Thanks for that
Ive got to see the Dr again this afternoon about these headaches,Im just so worried again.
StevieH
I'd like to make a correction on technicality.  Lexapro was very recently released from Forest Laboratories and has no marketed generic at this time.

Celexa, a lower-grade antidepressant that is along similiar pharmacokinetic lines, has a generic form called Citalopram, however this is *not* same same drug as Lexapro.  Lexapro's generic has *not yet been released for generic marketing*.

Flatly, there is *no such thing* as generic Lexapro, and if you see it being sold online, do not buy it.  There are such things as bootleg drugs, and if they were packaged in Mexico, Taiwan, or Cambodia, you have no guarantee what is in them.
As somewhat of a chemistry nerd, I'd like to clarify the issues raised on this page regarding Celexa and Lexapro. Technically speaking, the active components in these two formulations are the exact same molecules. However, in reality, there are certain molecules which have mirror-image counter-parts (called enantiomers) that do not behave exactly the same in the human body. These molecules are built of the same atomic structures, but they are not arranged the same in space. Two mirror-images are given the designations (R) and (S).

Celexa is the brand-name of a preparation that is composed of a mixture of these two similar molecules (both R and R isomers). Only one of these two (the S isomer) has been proven effective against depression and anxiety. However, the other isomer does have some biological activity which may contribute to its side effects. The reason these two compounds are sold as a mixture is that enantiomers are so similar that they are very difficult to separate. It is also incredibly hard to design effective procedures for producing large amounts of one or the other pure isomer. Selling 'optically impure' products (i.e., products that come as a mixture of these two enantiomers) is likely, in my opinion, to increase the incidence of side effects. I am, however, not a doctor.

Lexapro, on the other hand, is still the compound citalopram, but only the (S)-isomer. Hence, the compound has been cleverly labeled "Escitalopram." This product can be sold for considerably more money, and it will likely have less side effects -- you can take half as many milligrams of compound to achieve the same therapeutic effects.

Take whichever works for you. If the celexa works and it doesn't cause you problems, then take the cheap stuff.