Albumin/Globulin Ratio

Does anyone have any information on the clinical significance of the A/G ratio?  I have just recently added this test to our chemistry panel due to medicare requirements and am kind of fuzzy on the definition.  My books don't offer much information.  
  Any information would be appreciated.
_________________________
Dear Lisa:
The albumin/globulin ratio is the calculation of serum albumin compare to serum globulin level to determine whether there is an overproduction or underproduction of gamma-globulin. A low A/G ratio may be due to overproduction of gamma-globulin (monoclonal/polyclonal gammopathy,  multiple myeloma or autoimmune diseases etc.) or due to low albumin (low production as  in cirrhosis or excessive loss as in  nephrotic syndrome or protein losing enteropathy etc.).In contrast, if the A/G ratio is high then one should look for diseases with low gamma-globulin production such as agammaglobuminemia.  Often a serum electrophoresis or immunoelectrophoresis can determine a more specific abnormality.
This information is provided for educational pirposes only.
HFHSM.D.-jg
*keywords: cirrhosis
0.3