Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Alternative Treatments for Hypothyroidism

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have been diagnosed with hypothroidism for about six years.. I have beenon Synthroid since then..Although my activity level is still the same, I have gained weight, and cannot seem to get it off.  I am checked regularly for my med dosage, but still have some of the symptoms i initially had when first diagnosed.  My pcp says the tests come back normal.  I heard there are other meds available besides synthroid.  I would like to know what they are, and take tham to my Dr, for discussion.
I took levoxyl, but since my dosage was lowered I'm now on levothroid. It is good that your doctor regularly checks your levels, but it is important to have the complete test done. Your body can actually compensate so that the levels appear to be normal when they are not. I'm sorry that I don't know the name of the specific test, but if you call a naturopathe in your area he or she would probably know what to have ordered. At one time my t-3 was low. The thyroid produces more than one hormone, and t-3 is not usually tested because it is a very small part. My doctor kept raising my thyroid med, but it was not helping. When he tested my t-3, it was almost non-existant. When I took this med, it made a huge difference. It is non-conventional, and you may have to see a naturopathe if this is what you need. I hope this helps.

If you take a look at this page:
<h4><a href=http://www.curezone.com/dis/>Illness</a></h4> You will find lik to alt treatments Hypothyroidism.

Good luck
Liza~