Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Asacol adverse side effects

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Asacol adverse side effects

I was put on Asacol 2 pills 3x a day after being diagnosed with proctitis. My gastrologist did this as a preventative measure for Ulcerative Colitis. My question is in regards to the side effects that have been experienced with this drugs use. Within 2 months of starting this I was diagnosed with pancreatitis and now after approx 7 months of using this I have developed a pretty severe case of urinary urgency. I am wondering if you as Medical Doctors can share with me any cases where these side effects occured, and if they were reversed after discontinuation of the drug.My symptoms especially the urgency are really debilitating to live with. Far worse than the proctitis. Thank you.
______
Dear Autumn,
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic disease that causes inflammation of the large bowel. In certain patients the inflammation is limited to the last portion of the bowel and is called ulcerative proctitis.
Although Asacol has a very good safety profile, pancreatitis and urinary urgency have been reported as side-effects of Asacol use. I would like to emphasize, however, that these are rare side-effects. More common causes of pancreatitis and urinary urgency should be ruled out before attributing these problems to Asacol.
If your doctors feel that Asacol is responsible for the pancreatitis and urinary urgency, a change in your treatment regimen should be considered. Since you have only proctitis, other options are available. The active ingredient in Asacol is measlamine, which acts to reduce the inflammation. Mesalamine can also be given as an enema (Rowasa). In this formulation the drug is delivered directly to the site of inflammation. Very little drug is absorbed reducing the incidence of side-effects. Rowasa is quite effective in the treatment of proctitis and should be considered in your case. If colitis symptoms persist, then you may need hydrocortisone enemas which also decrease inflammation.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-sg
*keywords: ulcerative proctitis, inflammaory bowel disease
0.3