Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Backup of bowel in the intestines

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Backup of bowel in the intestines
For over a week now I have had continuous pain on my left side. The pain is right under my lower rib cage and continues down around to my lower back. I went to an Urgent Care facility Dr. said I had bowel backed up in my intestines. Mind you at no time during this period was I constipated.He suggested using a laxative,which I did Magnesium Citrate. It worked well, however I still have the same aching sometimes burning pain on my left side. Oddly enough my back and legs hurt also. At the point it has been well over a week that this has been going on, I even tried applying moist and dry heat to the area.How much longer do I wait to see a Doctor?
You need to make an appointment now. Your symptoms are similar to mine, and I waited two months in pain before I saw a doctor. Because it is so hard to diagnose abdominal pain, you will probably need to get some tests done, the sooner the better. You may have kidney stones, diverticulitus, or something wrong with your reproductive organs. Your symptoms match any of these diseases. Your doctor may schedule and IVP or one of those -scopy's. I would go get it checked out, though, so you don't have to wait so long in pain.
HI!
THE SYMPTOMS YOU ARE DESCRIBING SOUND SIMILAR TO THOSE OF A KIDNEY INFECTION THAT I HAD A FEW MONTHS AGO.  HAVE THEY DONE ANY TESTS IN THAT AREA?  THEY ARE VERY SIMPLE!
GOOD LUCK!
My mother is suffering from those symtoms with vommiting as well. A few onths ago, she thought she had food posioning. She was in the ER a few days ago and they determined that it was not kidney related. I have no idea what it could be, if you get any other info, please post it. Thanks much and I hope you feel better.
A related discussion, Bowel backup was started.