Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bad breath caused by gastrointestinal problems?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bad breath caused by gastrointestinal problems?

I'm a 19 year old male and for at least the past 10 years now I've been suffering from chronic bad breath with no apparent cause. I've tried all the usual stuff like mouthwashes, I have perfect oral hygeine, brush my teeth twice a day and floss, also use a tongue brush, never smoke or drink alcohol either and don't eat garlic or spicy foods.

My dentist can't find anything wrong with my mouth even after x-rays and says my oral hygiene is perfect and that I am one of his best patients health wise (I have no fillings and my teeth are perfectly after seeing an orthodontist). I've been to a consultant oral & maxillofacial surgeon who also could not find anything wrong after taking x-rays, I've also been to a consultant ENT who could find nothing wrong after performing multiple rhinoscopies and a CT scan of my sinuses.

I've tried a 2 week course of amoxicillin, which had no effect and a 2 month course of omeprazole which also had no efffect, I wasn't able to tolerate the metoclopramide I was given (made me very drowsy). I was also given some nasal steroid drops and saline spray which had no effect. The only time that my bad breath ever disappeared for a few days was when I was in hospital for abdominal pain and I was given IV metronidazole and co-amoxiclav. Liver function and standard blood tests were normal.

The strange thing is that my saliva smells really bad as well as my breath (this also went away after the antibiotics) and a scraping from the back of my tongue smells horrific as well. Strangely though my nasal breath doesn't seem to smell bad, (haven't had that confirmed by someone else though). Could this happen in a case of acid reflux?

Is it possible that a gastrointestinal problem such as GERD or an infection is causing my bad breath? The consultants all say that's the only remaining thing they can think of as causing my problem. The fact that metronidazole temporarily cured my halitosis would suggest that it's anerobic bacteria causing the smell right?