Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bile in stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bile in stomach

I have had mild proctitis and mild gastritis for nearly 2 years, I am on no medications and have had no surgery involving my digestive tract. My proctitis is slowly improving but unfortunately my gastritis isn't, My question is concerning the most recent endoscopy I had done in which a large amount of bile was found in my stomach and also very mild gastritis, previous endoscopys just showed mild gastritis, I'm wondering could this bile in stomach be the cause of my gastritis, or could it just be a once off as it was never seen before (I'm very concerned as I've been reading about bile reflux and it  sounds dreadful)My doctor didn't seen to bothered and advised me to do nothing! I eat a healthy diet but have a lot of stress brought about by my discomfort and pain through the last 2 years
I would be really grateful for any advice and help you could give.
Regards
Yes, bile acid in the stomach can certainly cause or worsen the gastritis.  In fact, studies show that chronic exposure to bile salts is almost as damaging as taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.  If the case is truly bile acid reflux (diagnosed via endoscopy, radionuclide scanning, or measuring bile salts in the gastric fluid), then surgery may be considered to treat this.  Success rates range from 50 to 90 percent.  

There are also some small studies with medications used to treat this.  This can include Ursodiol, Sucralfate or Cholestyramine.  

You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b

My understanding is that Bile seen on endoscopy, it is not a reliable guide to bile reflux. The act of putting an endoscope into the stomach causes mechanical bile reflux that is not the same as spontaneous bile reflux.

In other words, endoscopy is not a reliable tool to diagnose bile reflux.
A related discussion, bile gastritis v. acid reflux was started.
A related discussion, Bile in Stomach was started.