Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Bile in stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Bile in stomach

My wife had her gall bladder removed in July 2004 because it was determined that she had stones in her bile duct.She continued to have pain in the general area and it was determined in Nov.04 that she has inflamation (inflammation) in the stomach caused by excess bile. This being the cause of the pain according to the doctor.Our specialist has give her medication to reverse the flow of bile. We would like to know how long she will have be on medication to correct this problem.
She also suffers from some diarrehea. Colestid seems to cause side effects in her. Any alternative medications ?
Bile acid reflux can certainly be a cause for the symptoms.  If the medication isn't working, the definitive treatment would be surgery, with improvement in between 50 to 90 percent of cases.  

There are also various medication options that may be considered if not tried already.  They include ursodeoxycholic acid, sucralfate, prostaglandin E2, and cholestyramine.  They can be discussed with your personal physician if not tried already.

As to the timeframe - that is difficult to say.  If the problem is anatomic in nature (i.e. abnormal pyloric sphincter), then surgery may be the only definitive cure.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
try chewing gum,the salive seems to help with stomach acid,may be it would do the same for bile.
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that your wife is suffering.  I'm 34 and had my GB removed in Jan. 04.  I've had NOTHING but problems since.  The docs removed my GB b/c the Hyda Scan showed it workiing only 44% of the time.  The day I left the hospital until now, I have thrown up bile, mostly in the morning.  I still have the same pain as well.  All I know at this point is my liver & spleen are now enlarged.  I go in for a liver biopsy on the 18th.  I guess what bothers me the most is the liver bile.  Finally, last week I was put on a liquid med that I drink 4 times a day, it could take up to a month to work and I pray it does.  It's called Carafate.  I tried Questran but its very constipating.  Good luck to her and God bless you both!
A related discussion, excess bile in stomach was started.