Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Biliary Dyskinesia and Atypical Chest Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I will try to be brief.  Since last November, I have had a Barium Swallow, 2 pH studies, HIDA Scan with CCK, 2 Endoscopies, cardiological workup and a motility study.  Findings to date are: (1) GERD and (2) Biliary Dyskinesia (ejection factor 23% in May).   My symptoms in May were primarily "atypical chest pain" and this was recreated with CCK.  In May I had no abdominal pain.  It was not until June that I realized that my chest discomfort (which can be best described as if something were gripping around my esophagus and squeezing with constant pressure; I would tend to use discomfort instead of pain) was exacerbated primarily by fat intake.  I can be made miserable by eating fat.   In the last two months my symptoms have worsened to include right side abdominal pain (comes and goes) in the general area of the gallbladder.  One thing is that when I press on the area of abdominal pain, I can replicate/worsen the chest discomfort.  Currently I am scheduled for gallbladder removal.  Questions:

(1) Doctor says gallbladder is causing chest discomfort.  Is that likely the case?  

(2) My symptoms seem worse when I up the dose of Aciphex (reflux is NOT under control, per PH test).  Anyone know why?
I was diagnosed with Biliary Dysinesia also. My Hida scan came back with no stones, but my gallbladder was only functioning at 15%. I can only tell you what happened to me. I had my gallbladder taken out last November. I had the same symptoms you mentioned. After surgery the pain got much worse. All the Drs would look at is reflux, but not one worked to take the pain away. I have suffered with this pain daily since the surgery. If you don't have stones ask if they are going to run dye through your bile ducts to make sure there isn't any narrowing. My Biliary Dyskinesia caused narrowing which is why the pain got so much worse. Ask a lot of questions now, because after if you have problems they look at you like your making it up.
I agree with Lor.  Make darn sure that the doctors run all the tests necessary BEFORE they remove your gall bladder.  I had mine removed in April and continue to have pains in my right side.  It was decided today that I will have an ERCP with Sphincterotomy done on November 14th.  They THINK my bile is too grainy and when it gets into the duct where the "nipple shaped" valve is that is when I have the pain.  The Sphincterotomy is done to cut that valve so that the bile can flow freely.  Best of luck to you.  Take care!
A related discussion, Biliary dyskinesia was started.