Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood from Anus near menstruation

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood from Anus near menstruation

I expell (a good deal of) bright red blood from my anus with or without stool shortly before my period begins.  It lasts a few days and does not happen every time I go to the bathroom but often during that time. What could this possibly be from?  The first time I experienced this was in 1998 and I had a complete check from the mouth down and the anus up, the doctors found nothing (no polyps, fissures, hemmerahoids,ulcers, nothin') but then I did not realize it was happening/or maybe wasn't occuring just before my period. This kind of bleeding occured only a few times over the past 6 years but has now occured regularly for the last 5(?)months.  For the last three months I have tracked it carefully.  There is no pain or itching or sensation.  Maybe a little feeling of bloating and a TINY urgency to move stool but not really, I think I just get really worried about what's going on.
Various causes can lead to rectal bleeding, including some that you have mentioned - fissures, hemorrhoids, polyps, cancer etc.  

If the bleeding is superficial, fissure or hemorrhoids are most likely.

However, before settling on that diagnosis, it will be worthwhile to obtain a colonoscopy to ensure there isn't anything more serious going on.  This is especially true if there is a change in stool urgency.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Thank you for your response.  I appreciate your time and concern and understand that I need to see a physician in person.
It is possible that endometriosis could be causing your symptoms.
I have blood coming from my anus but only after I've had a boul movement, and its not in the stool. It doesn't come before my period it's just there. I haven't had my period since october and it lasted three weeks.  what could this mean?
A related discussion, hemorrhoids and mentral cramps was started.