Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood in stool

I have had blood in my stool before usually after some what heavy drinking. A few days later it would clear up and all would be fine. Two days ago with out the drinking I felt a relief of pressure in my stomach. I then had a bowel movement producing a large volume of medium red blood. I have had gas and a minimum amount of bowel movementsince. The color is dark red as if it is trying to dry up. I usually have a tender spot in my right side below my rib cage. This seems to be a point of blocking to some degree. I am not sure if I should rush to the doctor or if it will probably be recovering and I need not worry. A year and 1/2 ago I had a colonopstomy which was ok but they said I had a palp that seemed to be precancerious..

What do you recommend? Should I try to flush my system?

Bill
Sorry for the delayed response - I was on vacation.

Blood in the stool can be caused by benign diseases like hemorrhoids or diverticulosis.  More dangerous causes like polyps or cancer however, needs to be ruled out.  A negative colonoscopy 1 1/2 years ago makes the latter possibilities less likely.  

However, depending on your age and family history, you may want to repeat the endoscopy - since some patients have a genetic predisposition to developing polyps quickly.  

Regarding a colon flush - there are no studies showing that colon flushes have any benefit.

These questions should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Sorry to piggyback on your post Mila, but does anyone know why we are unable to access the unmoderated Communities part of this forum? .

I posted a question on the Ask the Doctor forum and paid the $16 and can't find either the post or a response. Don't know any other way to contact some of the regulars like Gregg, bip, etc. to see why we are denied access to the Communities forum.
Thanks.
Liz.
Liz it appears thatI might have the same problem