Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Blood in stools, Black spotted stools

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Blood in stools, Black spotted stools

For around 2 years I have had bright red blood in stools from time to time, It got worse about 5 months ago when there was a good amount of blood on one of my stools and some in the water!

I think its hemmorids cause I have a protruding one and if I eat high fiber Iam not bleeding much if any and also my stools are some times streaked with a line on it as if it was rubbing up against the bleeding hemroid!

But one thing that worries me is I have recently noticed black spots on my stool, its not really tarry or anything just black spots about dime size all over the stool and some of the other stools don't have it? Is this bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. Its not really dark black though and if you shine a light on it it kindof just looks really dark brown/grey and is harder than the rest of the stool!
are you taking any iron medications??
Best to be evaluated by a doctor. Probably hemoroids along with constipation. But you should still get checked just in case. Better safe than sorry. My uncle knew he was having bowel changes but didn't go to doctor till he started losing weight and feeling ill. By then the cancer was all through his colon. He had the entire thing removed with colostomy, but too late. He's now in hospice with cancer in brain, bones, everywhere.
Thanks for the responses, no Iam not taking any Iron or anything like that. A few months ago I was scheduled for a Colonscopy but with my schedule and fear of stuff like that I never went, is their any other procedure thats less intrusive than that??
I don't know of any other tests that can accurately see the inside of you colon. Go ahead and have the test. I was scheduled for a cardiac catheterization last year but was too afraid and didn't do it. Ended up having emergency catheterization in Feb. this year. It's best to just have it checked that way you can be sure it's not serious.
Sorry to hear that, hope all is well now.  thanks for your reply's
Hi. You may have a sigmoidoscopy first but if they don't see anything, they may send you for a colonoscopy anyway. During a sigmoidoscopy, you are awake in the doctors office and he takes a lighted tube and looks around up there. It is not really painful, you just feel crampy while he is looking. A colonoscopy is basically the same thing except you will be out and they can go up a lot further in your colon and see everything. The worse thing about the test is the prep. but not all of them are bad. You need to go for your piece of mind. Good luck!
When they put you out you won't remember a thing.  Have it done for peace of mind.
A related discussion, soft dark brown feces, tiny black spots was started.
A related discussion, soft dark brown feces, black tiny spots was started.